This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6585 / 52°39'30"N
Longitude: -1.6926 / 1°41'33"W
OS Eastings: 420892
OS Northings: 306796
OS Grid: SK208067
Mapcode National: GBR 4F6.BX3
Mapcode Global: WHCGX.ZF5S
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 27 February 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038802
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272836
Location: Wigginton and Hopwas, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B79
Civil Parish: Wigginton and Hopwas
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Wigginton St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 20 NW WIGGINTON C.P. MAIN ROAD (West side)
5/82 Church of St. Leonard
Parish church. 1777; north aisle of 1830, and chancel and vestry of
1861-2 by Nicholas Joyce of Burton. Red brick nave and aisle on sand-
stone plinth, random rubble chancel; slate roofs with coped verges.
3-bay nave with north aisle and western bell turret, 2-bay chancel with
clasping buttresses; L-shaped north-east vestry. Nave and aisle: tall
small-pane windows with semi-circular arches springing from imposts.
The north aisle has a circular west window with moulded stone surround
and a west door with moulded stone surround and cyma recta moulded
cornice hood. The nave has a C19 gabled western porch with pointed
doorway, flanked by 2 circular windows with moulded stone frames; Dio-
cletian window above the porch; bell turret with hipped roof and
circular oculus to each side. Chancel: 2 south windows, the western
one has 2 lights with plate tracery, the eastern one has a single light;
sill string continued as a hood mould over a central pointed door;
pointed 3-light east window with Geometric tracery and hood mould with
foliated stops. Vestry: pointed 2-light windows with plate tracery
to north and east. Interior: 2 massive Tuscan columns supporting
the west turret; 2 cast iron columns between nave and aisle; north
gallery also supported on cast iron columns; pointed and chamfered
chancel arch with an inner chamfered order springing from short corbelled
half-columns with stiff leaf decoration. The nave has a plain plaster
ceiling, the chancel has an arch braced collar roof. Fittings: mid
to late C19 stone font with octagonal base, ribbed and banded decoration,
wooden font cover of circa 1938; full set of C20 pews; wooden Gothic
style pulpit; brass altar rail with decorative brackets; wainscotting
in sanctuary of circa 1935. Stained glass: east window of 1893 showing
the nativity, baptism and crucifixion of Jesus; south-west window of
1897 depicting Saints Luke and John; small south-east window, Mary and
Jesus. B.o.E. p. 310.
Listing NGR: SK2089206796
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings