This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.695 / 52°41'42"N
Longitude: -1.6273 / 1°37'38"W
OS Eastings: 425284
OS Northings: 310881
OS Grid: SK252108
Mapcode National: GBR 5G7.3D6
Mapcode Global: WHCGR.ZJ88
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 27 February 1964
Last Amended: 29 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038817
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272766
Location: Clifton Campville, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B79
Civil Parish: Clifton Campville
Built-Up Area: Clifton Campville
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Clifton Campville St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
CLIFTON CAMPVILLE C.P.
The Old Rectory
(formerly listed as The
Priest's house. C15 core, remodelled circa 1600, and again in 1778;
restored circa 1980. Red brick, now rendered with sandstone quoins
to the lower part of the east wing; plain tile roof with coped verges;
brick stacks. H-plan; hall range of 3 roof bays aligned east-west facing
south with the opposed entrances of a former cross passage at the west
end and a chimney stack at the east end; flanking crosswings, each of
3 roof bays, aligned north-south. North elevation: central hall range
flanked by projecting gabled crosswings. 2 storeys and attic; 1:2:1
windows, C18 glazing bar sashes, the wings have ground-floor Venetian
windows. 6-panelled door to right-hand side of hall range within a
moulded stone surround of circa 1600, C18 fanlight with radiating glazing
bars cut through the massive lintel. South elevation: central hall
range and projecting gabled crosswings to left and right. 1:3:1 windows,
C18 glazing bar sashes, those to both sides of the hall range and east
wing replace mullioned and transomed windows of circa 1600. Half-glazed
door to left hand side of hall range with stone surround and C18 fanlight
with radiating glazing bars cut through the lintel. Large canted bay
window to east side of east wing. Interior: The Hall occupies the whole
of the ground floor of the central range; much re-used timber incorporated
in the ceiling but a C15 cross beam on the line of the former screen
to the cross passage is in situ; it has a double-ogee and concave quarter
circle moulding facing the upper (east) end of the room. Stone fireplace
of circa 1600 at the east end of the hall with an ogee and concave quarter
circle moulding and a Tudor arch with sunken spandrels. The hall range
is roofed with C17 queen strut trusses. West wing: chamfered and stopped
cross beams and flat joists over the ground floor rooms, probably C15;
the chamfer stops of the northernmost set of joists are embedded within
the north wall. C17 queen strut roof trusses. East wing: staircase
of circa 1800 with cast iron stick balusters and wreathed hand rail.
C15 clasped purlin roof with cambered tie beams and raking queen struts
extending to the collars. Most of the C18 windows throughout the house
retain panelled wooden shutters. Stebbing Shaw, The History and Antiquities
of Staffordshire Vol. I (1798) p.398.
Listing NGR: SK2528410881
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings