This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6011 / 52°36'4"N
Longitude: -1.8653 / 1°51'55"W
OS Eastings: 409216
OS Northings: 300377
OS Grid: SK092003
Mapcode National: GBR 3D7.WRZ
Mapcode Global: WHCH1.9WZ9
Plus Code: 9C4WJ42M+CV
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 15 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272704
Location: Shenstone, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B74
Civil Parish: Shenstone
Built-Up Area: Sutton Coldfield
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Aston St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 00 SE
WALLSALL ROAD (south side)
Church of St Peter
Chapel of ease. 1873-74 by G.E Street for Hon.Edward Swynfen Parker-Jervis of Little Aston Hall (q.v.). Red sandstone ashlar; tiled roofs with verge parapets. Decidedly picturesque Early English style. Nave, chancel, south aisle and vestry, south west steeple.
Steeple: three stages, banded and with angle buttresses of three stages, gabletted head. Bell chamber has pointed labelled arcading of three bays to each side, blind except to centres which have louvred openings, corbelled eaves to broach spire which has two tiers of diminishing lucarnes. Centre stage has lancets set over pointed, moulded west door with engaged columns under the imposts; octagonal stair tower is clasped to north west angle, rising to the centre stage and assisting the composition with the nave: of three bays exposed to the north with pointed two-light Y-tracery windows, continuous string below cill level, buttress to east and small engaged octagonal projection to north west, echoing the stair tower. The west gable has a pointed five-light stepped lancet window set over the single storey flat roofed choir vestry projection built on in 1955.
South aisle: pent (of flatter pitch) and of three bays similar to the north side of the nave, the aisle is clasped in place by the taller, projecting, gabled vestry: the south face has a lancet to the right, the string stepped up to a trefoil-headed, boarded door, the west gable (looking over the aisle) has a quatrefoil light to the apex; to the east a further, lower additional bay fills in the return angle to the chancel, with a quatrefoil light to the south and a triple-light lancet to the east gable flush but lower than the chancel slightly lower than, but flush with the nave; three bays of lancets exposed to the north with a stepped string and angle buttresses; triple lancet pointed east window larger than on the smaller adjacent gable.
Interior: three bay south arcade, pointed on round columns, pointed chancel arch and strong segmental relieving arches to south aisle windows. Pointed arches to north and east of tower form a continuation of the arcade and aisle. Nave roof with arch braced collar trusses supporting a wind braced single purlin; the chancel roof has trussed rafters in a barrel vault; reredos carving by Earp.
Pulpit: stone, octagonal on clustered marble columns, inset panels to faces finished in marble mosaic. Font: similar to pulpit. Elaborate brass choir rails.
Listing NGR: SK0921600377
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings