This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6015 / 52°36'5"N
Longitude: -1.8723 / 1°52'20"W
OS Eastings: 408743
OS Northings: 300424
OS Grid: SK087004
Mapcode National: GBR 3D7.TQK
Mapcode Global: WHCH1.6VNZ
Entry Name: Little Aston Hall
Listing Date: 29 October 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038855
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272660
Location: Shenstone, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B74
Civil Parish: Shenstone
Built-Up Area: Sutton Coldfield
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Aston St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 00 SE SHENSTONE C.P. ALDRIDGE ROAD
8/47 Little Aston Hall
Country house. Early C18, rebuilt c.1790 by James Wyatt and 1857-9
by Edward Payne for Colonel Swynfen Parker Jervis. Sandstone ashlar
rusticated and vermiculated to ground floor and quoins; flat roof on
cornice invisible behind balustraded parapets; massive corniced ashlar
side stacks. Large plan of central block and flanking pavilions in an
Italianate style. Entrance front: centre block of 3 storeys and 2,3,2
bays; top floor has glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds with segmental
heads and balustraded aprons; first floor has segmental pediment heads on
consoles to outer pairs of bays and semicircular shell heads to centre
trio, all with deep mullioned and transomed casements and balustered
aprons; ground floor again with mullioned and transomed windows with
keystone heads. Central single-storey, balustraded porch (almost a
porte cochere) with triglyph frieze and 6 columns to front, paired
at extremities; central entrance with part-glazed door. Flanking pavilions
of two storeys (almost to height of three) and three bays; round arch
plate glass sashes to first floor with fretted aprons; ground floor
mullioned and transomed windows with keyed heads. Plain side elevations
and garden elevation of very similar appearance to entrance side but
without the portico. Interior: the building is now divided into individual
units and much of the elaborate decorative scheme reset or removed.
The entrance hall remains intact with linenfold panelling up to ceiling
level and strapwork plaster ceiling. The staircase has been replaced.
S. Shaw, History of Staffordshire, ii, 1801, p.52 with engraving;
H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, London, 1978,
p.949; B.O.E., p.196 , pl.89.
Listing NGR: SK0874300424
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings