This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8535 / 52°51'12"N
Longitude: -1.5152 / 1°30'54"W
OS Eastings: 432741
OS Northings: 328552
OS Grid: SK327285
Mapcode National: GBR 6FS.1RL
Mapcode Global: WHCG1.PJNT
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 19 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1039117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82785
Location: Twyford and Stenson, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Twyford and Stenson
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Barrow-on-Trent St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 32 NW
PARISH OF TWYFORD AND STENSON
CHURCH LANE (north side)
Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and early C18. Tower repaired 1821. Restoration 1910. Coursed squared sandstone and red brick with sandstone dressings. Lead roofs. West tower, nave and chancel.
West tower of three stages divided by chamfers. The lowest stage forms a tall plinth. The next stage has a single roughly cut lancet to each side except the east. Two-light bell openings to each side with a flat arch and Dec tracery. On the south side is an intermediate rectangular louvred opening. Moulded cornice and battlemented parapet. Short octagonal stone spire with one tier of lucarnes.
The nave was rebuilt in the C18 using medieval masonry on the inside and brick on the outside. Stone plinth and stone coped parapets. Stone quoins; to south. To the north are two round-arched windows with stone surrounds, key and impost blocks. The south side has two similar windows and to the left a round-arched doorway with similar moulded surround with key and impost blocks. C19 plank doors. The nave windows are of cast iron with leaded lights. The chancel south has a two-light Dec window under a square head, with tracery similar to the bell openings of the tower. To the right a plain unmoulded pointed arched priests doorway with C20 plank door and a three-light Dec window with cusped lights, mouchettes and a reticulation unit. The east end of the chancel has diagonal buttresses and a three-light window with reticulated tracery, partly renewed. The north side of the chancel has one two-light window of two plain arched lights under a flat head, possibly C16. To the right a buttress. Chamfered string course above the windows on the north and south sides.
INTERIOR: plain pointed tower arch with impost blocks. C12 chancel arch, round-arched with zigzag ornament. Colonnettes with elementary capitals and bases. Remains of dogtooth moulding on the imposts. Above the chancel arch are traces of painted scenes. The chancel has a single purlin roof with cambered tie beam. In the north wall a tomb slab with plain inscription to George Harpur +1658. Brass inscription plate set in, to Anna his wife +1688. Early C18 communion rails with heavy turned balusters. On the south side of the chancel is a brass tablet in the shape of a shield, to Simon Bristowe and others, late C17. On the north wall a defaced tablet to a Harpur Crewe, c1700. Stained glass in the east window of 1906 by T Dudley Forsyth of London. Pair of single tier brass chandeliers. Carved C19 octagonal font.
Listing NGR: SK3274428552
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 10 April 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings