This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1005 / 52°6'1"N
Longitude: -1.2231 / 1°13'23"W
OS Eastings: 453314
OS Northings: 244965
OS Grid: SP533449
Mapcode National: GBR 8TX.9L1
Mapcode Global: VHCW3.RG8M
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 11 September 1953
Last Amended: 22 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234503
Location: Thorpe Mandeville, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Thorpe Mandeville
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Thorpe Mandeville St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
THORPE MANDEVILLE MAIN STREET
SP54SW (East side)
7/229 Manor House
Manor House. Early C18. Built for the Gostelowe family. Enlarged mid C19 and
c.1936 by Oliver Hill. Ironstone ashlar, limestone quoins and dressings, stone
slate roof, stone stacks. C18 house has double depth plan. C19 and C20 additions
to rear forming rectangular plan with small courtyard. South front (original
entrance): 2 storeys and cellar, 5 bays. 3 central bays project under large open
segmental pediment and urn. Central doorway approached by 4 semi-circular stone
steps has eared architrave framed by Ionic columns, pulvinated frieze and scroll
pediment enclosing oval cartouche with coat of arms of Rebecca Orelebar who
married Richard Gostelowe, 1696. C20 glazed door. Windows on either side have
moulded stone frames and 8-pane sashes. First floor windows have similar frames
and 15-pane sashes. In outer bay to left is C20 bay window on ground floor.
8-pane sash window in right outer bay. 20-pane sashes in moulded frames. Outer
bays, first floor have moulded stone entablature. Hipped roof. Left (west) side,
now main entrance, remodelled C19 and C20. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central stone
porch with straight parapet, and entrance with moulded segmental arch with
keystone. Half glazed double doors with side lights and fanlight. Inner doorway
similar. C19 windows on outer side with segmental stone heads and sashes with
side lights. Similar windows on first floor. Wing to left C19, 2 storeys, 3 bays
with hipped roof. Sash windows with segmental heads on ground floor and bay
window in second bay from right. Sash windows on first floor with triagular
pediments. East front, 2 storeys, 5 bays, has central 2-storey bay window
flanked by windows with moulded stone frames and 16-pane sashes. Extension to
right C20. Two storeys, 4 bays. Interior: Remodelled c.1936 by Oliver Hill. Hall
enlarged to include room on left and scagliola columns were introduced, framing
approach to staircase. Early C18 staircase with twisted balusters and carved
tread ends. Drawing Room to right has early C18 bolection moulded panelling and
bolection moulded stone fireplace. Double E-panelled doors to study, also with
bolection panelling. Smoking Room, left of hall has C20 panelling and fireplaces
Present dining room formed out of old kitchen. Gardens laid out c.1936 by Oliver
Hill. The Manor was purchased from the Kirton family c.1685 by Thomas Gostelowe
of Wardington, (died 1702). He was succeeded by his son Richard Gastelowe who
married Rebecca Orlebar 1696, their son, also Richard sold the estate 1723-4.
The house was used as a preparatory school for Eton, 1854-82. The Old Manor
House, damaged in the civil war, stood west of the church.
(G.T. Baker, Northamptonshire 1822-41, Vol.1, p.718-24, A. 0swald, 'Thorpe
Mandeville Manor', Country Life 20th August 1938).
Listing NGR: SP5331444965
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings