This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.0822 / 55°4'55"N
Longitude: -1.4965 / 1°29'47"W
OS Eastings: 432243
OS Northings: 576528
OS Grid: NZ322765
Mapcode National: GBR K9ZN.TZ
Mapcode Global: WHC36.ZJK9
Entry Name: The Hall
Listing Date: 28 July 1950
Last Amended: 15 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041321
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236050
Location: Seaton Valley, Northumberland, NE26
Civil Parish: Seaton Valley
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Delaval Our Lady
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
SEATON DELAVAL SEATON DELAVAL HALL
13/86 The Hall
(formerly listed as
28.7.50 Seaton Delaval Hall)
Country house, 1718-29 by Sir John Vanbrugh for Admiral George Delaval. Ashlar
with varying rustication; Lakeland slate roofs. Central square main block,
with polygonal angle turrets and flanking square stair towers, on south side of
grand court. Symmetrical stable and kitchen blocks on east and west linked to
main block by arcaded gallery which continues north to end in square pavilions.
Palladian plan, individual Baroque style.
Entrance front has broad centrepiece of 3 storeys on basement: open stair up
to arched door between 18-pane sashes, under broad lunette, the whole flanked
by projecting groups of 3 giant columns carrying metope frieze, stepped back
across centre. 2nd floor has 3 windows, the central arched, and richly-carved
pediment. On either side 2-storey parts of 2 narrow bays link to the angle
turrets, both under balustraded parapet. South front a basically similar
composition but with prostyle tetrastyle Ionic portico; set back on each side
3-storey stair towers with Venetian windows in top stage and balustraded
parapets. The 3-storey centre has massive flanking stacks pierced by round
Arcaded galleries link to wings; that to west has parallel enclosed corridor
behind, with keyed oculi. Each wing has 2-storey, 15-bay facade to court, with
pedimented 3-bay centre set slightly forward; to rear of each wing central
apsidal projection with Venetian window.
Interiors. Main block: Great Hall stone faced with blank arcading and arched
niches above, opposed fireplaces with terms, and gallery on enriched cantilevers.
Vaulted corridors link to oval open-well stairs with wrought-iron balustrades,
partly restored. Saloon extending full width of south front. Mahogany parlour
with moulded cornice, and some original panelling. Extensive vaulted cellarage.
West wing: former kitchen groin-vaulted with segmental arch to bow, 1st floor
corridor divided into 3 compartments by moulded arches, over-sized door surrounds
with keystones and imposts.
Stables spanned by transverse elliptical arches; ashlar stall divisions and
mangers, arched niches holding hay racks.
Both Vanbrugh and Admiral Delaval died before the house was completed. The
west wing was damaged by fire in 1752 butrestored 1814-15 by John Dobson; the main block
was similarly gutted in 1822 and although reroofed remains largely an empty
C. Hussey, 'Seaton Delaval' in Country Life, 54 (1923) 800 ff & 860 ff.
Listing NGR: NZ3224376528
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings