This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0812 / 55°4'52"N
Longitude: -1.4973 / 1°29'50"W
OS Eastings: 432188
OS Northings: 576416
OS Grid: NZ321764
Mapcode National: GBR K9ZP.MB
Mapcode Global: WHC36.ZK42
Entry Name: Church of Our Lady
Listing Date: 28 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041317
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236043
Location: Seaton Valley, Northumberland, NE26
Civil Parish: Seaton Valley
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Delaval Our Lady
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
SEATON DELAVAL A 190
(South side, off)
13/79 Church of Our Lady
Parish Church, formerly manorial chapel. Early C12, probably incorporating
earlier fabric; east end rebuilt c.1330, restoration and addition of west porch
1895. Squared stone except for roughly-coursed rubble on north of nave and tooled
stone in west porch and upper part of south nave wall, C19 ashlar dressings; stone
slate roofs. 3-cell plan with no external division between chancel and sanctuary.
Short but tall nave with 2 C19 lancets on south; blocked round-headed C12 or
earlier loop on north, and slatted opening under small pointed arch in west gable.
Coped gables, the eastern carrying C19 gabled bellcote with finial cross. Gabled
porch with panelled double doors under re-set head of C14 east window with
reticulated tracery; single-light window on each return. Lower chancel with 2
small C19 lights on south and one on north; and restored 3-light east window.
Small blocked doors close to west end of north and south walls, the latter square-
headed with a roll-moulded surround of C16 type.
Interior: Original west doorway, within porch, has plain square-headed opening
beneath arched tympanum with head, probably from Tree of Life design, c.f. St.
Bartholomew's Chapel at Croxdale, Co. Durham; arch above with zigzag and chamfered
hood. Re-set over the doorway 3 shields in cusped panels, and above those a
square-headed window. Near-identical chancel and sanctuary arches with soffit
rolls between hollows, zig-zag and hoods with billet moulding and chip-carved
ornament, on semicircular responds with cushion caps beneath chamfered impost
string, continued along the chancel and sanctuary walls below a plain barrel vault.
C14 piscina with trefoiled ogee arch and shelf on south of sanctuary; image
bracket on south of east window. C18 coved plaster nave ceiling with dentil
cornice; 5 shields in cusped panels, re-set above door.
In sanctuary C14 effigies of cross-legged knight, probably Sir Hugh Delaval, and
late C14 or early C15 lady, on moulded plinths. 6 large C18 or early C19
hatchments of Delavals and Astleys in nave.
Listing NGR: NZ3218576416
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings