History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Harbour Commissioners Offices

A Grade II Listed Building in Blyth, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1277 / 55°7'39"N

Longitude: -1.5033 / 1°30'11"W

OS Eastings: 431769

OS Northings: 581590

OS Grid: NZ317815

Mapcode National: GBR K9Y4.BP

Mapcode Global: WHC30.WC9W

Entry Name: Harbour Commissioners Offices

Listing Date: 15 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041341

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235996

Location: Blyth, Northumberland, NE24

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Blyth

Built-Up Area: Blyth (Northumberland)

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Blyth St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Blyth

Listing Text

BLYTH
In the entry for:-
10/32 BRIDGE STREET
(North Side)
Harbour
Commissioner's
Offices.
The list description should be amended to read:-

Harbour Commissioner's Offices, 1913 by Cackett and Burns Dick of Newcastle.
Ground floor ashlar, with channeled rustication, upper floors brick in Flemish
bond with ashlar dressings; Lakeland slate roof. 3-storey facade in 3 sections;
left 5-bay part fronting Bridge Street, right 3-bay part fronting Plessey Road,
and 3-bay curved centre with entrance. Moulded plinth, 1st floor band, alternating
raised quoins and modillion eaves cornice. Central panelled double doors in
keyed moulded surround; flanking bays with oval geometrically-glazed windows
in moulded surrounds draped by garlands, all within Roman Doric blind arcade
with paired columns. 15-pane sash windows to 1st floor, in shouldered architraves
with scrolled feet and cornices; cartouche with arms above centre window. 12-pane
sashes in architraves to 2nd floor. Bridge Street frontage has similar fenestration;
ground floor windows with keyed lintels. Plessey Road frontage again similar
except for triple windows in centre bay. Steeply pitched roof with 3 flat-topped
dormers towards Bridge Street. End and 2 ridge stacks, with ashlar bands and
cornices.

Interior: Circular entrance lobby with domed roof. Open-well stair with wrought-
iron rail using ship's wheel motif, and ramped moulded handrail. Stair windows
leaded with heraldic glass. Boardroom has fielded oak panelling in early C18
style, bolection-moulded fireplace in polished crinoidal limestone, with carved
swags and trophies above, and plaster ceiling in late C17 style with raised borders
of flowers and fruit.

------------------------------------

10/32 BLYTH BRIDGE STREET
NZ 3181 NE
(North side)
10/32 Harbour Commissioners'
Offices
GV II
Harbour Commissioners' Offices, 1913 by Cackett and Burns Dick of Newcastle.
Ground floor ashlar, with channeled rustication, upper floors brick in Flemish
bond with ashlar dressings; Lakeland slate roof. 3-storey facade in 3 sections:
left 5-bay part fronting Bridge Street, right 3-bay part fronting Plessey Road,
and 3-bay curved centre with entrance. Moulded plinth, 1st floor band,
alternating raised quoins and modillion eaves cornice. Central panelled double
doors in keyed moulded surround; flanking bays with oval geometrically-glazed
windows in moulded surrounds draped by garlands, all within Roman Doric blind
arcade with paired columns. 15-pane sash windows to 1st floor, in shouldered
architraves with scrolled feet and cornices; cartouche with arms above centre
window. 12-pane sashes in architraves to 2nd floor. Bridge Street frontage
has similar fenestration; ground floor windows with keyed lintels. Plessey
Road frontage again similar, except for triple windows in centre bay. Steeply-
pitched roof with 3 flat-topped dormers towards Bridge Street. End and 2 ridge
stacks, with ashlar bands and cornices.

Interior: Circular entrance lobby with domed roof. Open-well stair with
wrought-iron rail using ship's wheel motif, and ramped moulded handrail. Stair
windows leaded, with heraldic glass. Boardroom has fielded oak panelling in
early C18 style, bolection-moulded fireplace in polished crinoidal limestone,
with carved swags and trophies above, and plaster ceiling in late C17 style
with raised borders of flowers and fruit.

Panels of Dutch glazed tiles, mostly with Dutch landscapes, in various parts of
the building; these were taken from the S.S. Walmer Castle, built in 1902 by
Messrs. Harland and Wolff and broken up at Blyth in 1932.

Listing NGR: NZ3176981590

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.