This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5058 / 55°30'20"N
Longitude: -1.6755 / 1°40'31"W
OS Eastings: 420594
OS Northings: 623600
OS Grid: NU205236
Mapcode National: GBR J4RS.15
Mapcode Global: WHC10.7WD3
Plus Code: 9C7WG84F+8R
Entry Name: Fallodon Hall
Listing Date: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041743
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237063
Location: Newton-by-the-Sea, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Newton-by-the-Sea
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Embleton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 22 SW NEWTON-BY-THE-SEA FALLODON
3/172 Fallodon Hall
Country house. Early C18 for Thomas Wood; service wing extended to rear in
later C18; early C19 rear wing by John Dobson; remodelling and removal of
main block 2nd floor c.1920 by Reavell and Cahill of Alnwick, following a
severe fire. Main part brick in English Garden Wall bond 1 & 3, with sandstone
ashlar dressings; rear-wing squared stone; return and rear elevation of service
wing squared rubble. Graduated Lakeland slate roofs, except for Welsh slates
on rear parts of service wing. Plan: 7 x 3 bay main block with single-storey
entrance lobby extension on north; central rear wing with double-span service
wing on north.
West front. Main block 2 storeys, 3 + 1 + 3 bays, symmetrical. Rusticated
quoins, chamfered plinth and 1st floor band. Slightly-projecting centre has
glazed double doors, in round arch with imposts and keystone, in surround with
attached columns, metope frieze and cornice. 12-pane sash windows in stone
surrounds with stepped segmental heads, triple keystones and projecting moulded
sills. Moulded string below parapet with moulded coping. Hipped roof;
panelled stepped-and-banded stacks at left end and on ridge. Set forward to
left is single-storey entrance lobby of c. 1920 with 12-pane sash in keyed
architrave. Set back to far left is 2-storey 4-bay service wing; rusticated
quoins; half-glazed door in stone surround with C19 corbelled-out canted bay
to left and paired 12-pane sashes to right; 4-pane casements in early C18
recessed and chamfered surrounds above. Roof hipped to left; 2 stepped-and-
corniced old brick lateral stacks on left return.
North (entrance) front: Main block shows two 12-pane 1st-floor sashes in
surrounds, as on west front, and rainwater head dated 1796 with initials C.G.
(Sir Charles Grey) above flat-roofed single-storey extension. This has 3
12-pane sashes in keyed architraves; to right a projection with flush-panelled
door in eared architrave within pedimented porch with banded piers and metope
South front of main block shows central 3-window bow with glazed double doors
and radial overlight; fenestration as on south front, except that windows in
bow are square-headed.
Rear (east) elevation: Basement to centre and right. Set back to left are 2
bays similar to front, and another 1796 rainwater head. Central 3-bay
projecting wing with 12-pane sashes; hipped roof with early C20 flat-topped
dormers. Right 3-bay rear part of service wing.
Interior c.1920, except for service wing; early C18 front part has 2-panel
doors, some on L hinges, and old close-spaced transverse ceiling beams.
Former kitchen in rear parts has three chamfered segmental-arched fireplaces,
Historical Note. Since the mid C18 the seat of a branch of the Grey family,
several of whom were prominent nationally. Earl Grey (1767-1828) was famous
for the Reform Bill; Sir Edward Grey (1862-1933), 'Grey of Fallodon' was
Listing NGR: NU2059423600
Other nearby listed buildings