This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4696 / 55°28'10"N
Longitude: -1.8367 / 1°50'11"W
OS Eastings: 410424
OS Northings: 619540
OS Grid: NU104195
Mapcode National: GBR H5M6.54
Mapcode Global: WHC13.RSL9
Entry Name: Eglingham Hall
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236505
Location: Eglingham, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Eglingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Eglingham St Maurice
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
EGLINGHAM EGLINGHAM VILLAGE
19/164 Eglingham Hall
Country House. West wing C16 or C17; main block probably 1728 (dated on
rainwater head), perhaps by William Etty, for Robert Ogle. Alterations and
heightening of west wing c.1780. West wing extended to north 1890; East
(entrance) wing 1903 by Temple Wilson for Thomas Milvain.
Main block and 1903 wing tooled stone with ashlar plinth, dressings and
rusticated quoins; west wing large squared stone and rubble. Lakeland slate
roof. East wing in Baroque style.
South front 2 storeys, 2 + 3 + 2 bays, symmetrical, the end parts slightly
projecting. Plinth. 8 steps up to central half-glazed double doors under
radial fanlight, in archivoit with imposts and keystone, within rusticated
pilasters and moulded cornice. 18-pane sash windows in architraves with
triple keystones and slightly-projecting sills. Moulded cornice and corniced
parapet. Hipped roof; 4 stepped-and-corniced ridge and end stacks. Set back
to left, end of west wing, 3 narrow bays; central studded door and small-paned
sash windows, the lower openings under timber lintels. Eaves cornice, arched
roof dormer. Coped left gable on moulded kneelers; old brick left end stack.
Entrance (east) front: Main block 3 bays, with 18-pane sashes; set back on
right lower 1903 wing of 2 wide bays, the first with panelled double doors in
surround modelled on that in the south front,the second with projecting 2-
window bay. 12-pane sashes, detail otherwise as south front.
West elevation: West wing, 2 + 2 + 3 bays, irregular. Scattered fenestration.
Taller right part is C16/17 building with remains of original chamfered
openings; centre and left parts have flat-topped half dormers; windows mostly
Venetian rear stair window; west wing shows vertical-panelled door in re-cut
raised surround dated 1709.
Interior: Anthemion cornice of c.1780 in hall. Dining room panelling and
chimneypiece in C18 style flanked by giant Ionic fluted pilasters; stone
fireplace with Rococo carving. Early C20 library with panelled plaster
ceiling, stone fireplace carved with intertwined dragons and panelling brought
from Morwick Hall. Imperial stair of c.1780 with carved newels, moulded
ramped handrail and wrought-iron balusters. Bedroom above dining room has
chimneypiece flanked by giant Doric fluted pilasters. Oak Hall in west wing
has C17 panelling, partly re-set, and fireplace.
Design thought to be influenced by Vanbrugh's Seaton Delaval, for which
William Etty was job architect; but William Wakefield has also been suggested
as architect for Eglingham.
G. Jackson-Stops, 'Eglingham Hall', Country Life, Vol. CLVIII, 1458-1461
(22 Nov. 1975).
Listing NGR: NU1042419540
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings