This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.608 / 55°36'28"N
Longitude: -1.7182 / 1°43'5"W
OS Eastings: 417849
OS Northings: 634969
OS Grid: NU178349
Mapcode National: GBR J3FL.TJ
Mapcode Global: WHC0L.L90P
Entry Name: Church of St Aidan
Listing Date: 22 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042269
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237851
Location: Bamburgh, Northumberland, NE69
Civil Parish: Bamburgh
Built-Up Area: Bamburgh
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bamburgh St Aidan
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BAMBURGH CHURCH STREET
17/32 Church of St. Aidan
Parish church. C12, C13 and C14. Restored 1830 and later C19. Squared stone
and ashlar; chancel and north transept have stone slate roofs; other roofs not
visible. West tower, nave, aisles, transepts and chancel.
Tower C13 or early C14. 4 stages with offsets. Y-tracery window on ground
floor, lancet bell openings; top storey C19 with battlements.
Aisles embrace tower. South aisle rebuilt early C14; renewed 2- and 3-light
Decorated windows. C19 south door. Low-pitched roof behind parapet.
South transept also has renewed Decorated windows.
C13, 5-bay chancel with crypt. Paired lancets under continuous dripstone.
Former priest's door in 2nd bay has surround of l83O with high gable. Rainwater.
heads dated 1830 with arms of Lord Crewe. East end has 3 lancets of even
height separated by buttresses. Corbel table, parapet and steeply-pitched roof.
North transept in small squared C12 stone has narrow east lancet (cf interior),
renewed Decorated windows elsewhere. Steeply-pitched roof.
North aisle in larger Medieval ashlar has 4 renewed Decorated windows.
Interior: Indications of earlier Romanesque church include round rere-arch of
north transept east window, masonry of south transept north wall, and uneven
build of east end of nave.
3 triple-chamfered tower arches. 4-bay nave has late C12 - early C13 north
arcade with round piers, simply-moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches;
3rd pier has stiff-leaf capital, east arch is very narrow. South arcade similar
but slightly later. Transept arches have 2 slight chamfers towards nave and
north aisle, unmoulded towards transept; very wide C14 double-chamfered arch
into south aisle.
C16 clerestory windows, now beneath roof; also C16 square newel stair in tower.
Tower ceiling includes old forked beam associated with legend of death of St.
Aidan. North aisle has old arched tiebeams.
Chancel: Double-chamfered chancel arch with large Decorated squint to right.
Arcaded side walls with pairs of arches rising over each pair of lancets and
narrow arch between; they rise from corbels which were formerly the capitals
of shafts which have been removed. C14 sedilia, piscina and aumbry. C14 tomb
recess with effigy of Knight. 2 low-side windows, the south one blocked.
Elaborate C19 open timber roof. C17 altar rails. Wall monuments to:- Claudius
Forster, 1623, a cartouche in aedicule; Forster family, 1711, large and well-
carved. Large stone reredos with statues of saints, 1895 by W.S. Hicks.
North aisle: recumbent effigy of Grace Darling, 1844 by Raymond Smith, formerly
in the churchyard; Sharpe memorial of 1839 by Chantrey. Hatchments in nave.
Vaulted 2-bay crypt with cinquepartite rib vaults rising from corbels.
Listing NGR: NU1784334964
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings