This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6691 / 55°40'8"N
Longitude: -1.7847 / 1°47'5"W
OS Eastings: 413638
OS Northings: 641751
OS Grid: NU136417
Mapcode National: GBR H2ZW.DM
Mapcode Global: WHC05.KRBW
Entry Name: Lindisfarne Castle
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Last Amended: 15 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042306
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237730
Location: Holy Island, Northumberland, TD15
Civil Parish: Holy Island
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Holy Island St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 1341 HOLY ISLAND BEBLOWE
12/21 Lindisfarne Castle
6/5/52 (formerly listed as
Holy Island Castle)
Castle. C16 converted into house 1902 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Edward Hudson.
Sandstone and whinstone with pantiled roofs. Irregular polygonal plan on 3
levels of former batteries, in dramatic situation.
South side has cobbled ramp up to entrance with Tudor-style surround, portcullis
and oak door. Scattered fenestration with chamfered mullioned windows under
original relieving arches. To right of door a projecting section on original
corbels has Lutyen's cruciform arrow slits. Projecting stone water spouts.
North side has similar windows and also 3 large round-headed windows with
Decorated tracery. Former garderobe tower with pyramidal roof to left. To right,
on upper battery, higher building with semi-octagonal end and mullioned windows.
Irregular roofs including prominent hipped roof with hipped dormers to middle
battery. Tall clustered octagonal chimneys with stepped tops.
Interior has several C16 doorways. Also C16 vaulted passages. 2 rooms at lowest
level have steeply-pointed tunnel vaults.
Other features by Lutyens, including entrance hall with round piers and segmental
arches dying into imposts; many fireplaces in Tudor style, panelling and doors
with characteristic latches, moulded beams and decorative brick floors.
A National Trust Property.
Lindisfarne Castle: Peter Orde. The National Trust 1983.
Listing NGR: NU1363841751
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings