This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1088 / 55°6'31"N
Longitude: -1.6725 / 1°40'21"W
OS Eastings: 420988
OS Northings: 579421
OS Grid: NZ209794
Mapcode National: GBR J9RC.PG
Mapcode Global: WHC2Y.8VSF
Plus Code: 9C7W485G+GX
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 28 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239001
Location: Stannington, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Stannington
Built-Up Area: Stannington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Stannington St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/05/2016.
NZ 27 NW
STANNINGTON (South side)
Church of St. Mary the Virgin
(Formerly listed as: CHURCH LANE)
Parish Church. 1871 by R.J. Johnson of Newcastle, incorporating C13 north
arcade of medieval church. Squared stone with ashlar dressings; Lakeland
slate roofs. 4-bay aisled nave with west tower, south-west choir vestry and
south porch; 3-bay chancel with organ chamber. Decorated Gothic style.
Tall 4-stage tower has 3-stepped angle buttresses, and south-west stair turret,
string courses and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. 3-light west
window, paired 2-light belfry openings in square-headed panels. Body of church:
plinth, sill string, eaves cornice, moulded parapets. South porch has double
boarded doors, with external wooden grid, under pointed arch. 2-, 3- and 4-light
windows; lancet clerestorey. Coped gables with finial crosses.
Interior: 4-bay nave arcades have pointed double-chamfered arches and round
piers with moulded capitals and bases; both arcades have C13 waterleaf capitals
to responds. Double-chamfered tower and chancel arches. Sanctuary has wall
arcade with moulded arches on marble shafts.
Good late C19 glass and elaborate wall monument to Lady Ridley d.1899, on south
of chancel. Monument to 1st Viscount Ridley d.1904, Secretary of State to
Queen Victoria 1895-1900, at east end of north aisle: bronze effigy by Sir. W.
Reynolds Stephens on cruciform marble tomb chest by D. Blow. Medieval heraldic
glass in organ chamber window, presented to church in 1772 by 2nd Baronet Ridley;
carved openwork pulpit, lectern and altar rails, stalls in similar style.
Re-set in floor under tower 10 medieval cross-slab grave covers including two
with unusual Celtic-style crosses, and late medieval limestone slab with
marginal inscription. Also in tower stone with small dancing figure above
skull and cable-moulded edges, possibly Pre-Christian.
Listing NGR: NZ2098879421
Other nearby listed buildings