This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1701 / 55°10'12"N
Longitude: -1.6906 / 1°41'26"W
OS Eastings: 419804
OS Northings: 586238
OS Grid: NZ198862
Mapcode National: GBR J8MN.SH
Mapcode Global: WHC2R.096X
Plus Code: 9C7W58C5+2P
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238742
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Morpeth
Built-Up Area: Morpeth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Morpeth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
MORPETH NEWGATE STREET (off)
NZ 1986 (East side)
22/253 Church of St. James
Church. 1842-6 by Benjamin Ferrey. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Romanesque
style. A large and impressive church. Cruciform with nave and chancel aisles
and crossing tower.
West end has portal with 2 orders of columns, 2 round-headed windows above and
intersecting arches on second floor; flanking bays rise to form octagonal
towers with short stone spires.
5-bay nave. North porch with 2 orders of columns and chevron mouldings.
Shafted windows with cushion capitals and roll-moulded arches. Clerestory
windows have beakhead in the arches. Round-arched corbel table to aisle; nave
has corbel table with chevron moulding.
Large central tower with 2-light bell openings under high round arch and with
flanking blank arches. Above this the wall is carved in imitation of tilework.
Round stair projection in north-west corner rises above parapet as a turret.
Apsidal chancel has arcade of round arches beneath eaves and billet frieze
Interior: Nave arcade has quatrefoil piers; chancel piers are round. Glass by
Wailes. Frescoes in the chancel by Clayton and Bell.
Listing NGR: NZ1980486238
Other nearby listed buildings