This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1707 / 55°10'14"N
Longitude: -1.6909 / 1°41'27"W
OS Eastings: 419788
OS Northings: 586305
OS Grid: NZ197863
Mapcode National: GBR J8MN.Q8
Mapcode Global: WHC2R.093F
Plus Code: 9C7W58C5+7M
Entry Name: Kirkville
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Last Amended: 22 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042761
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238711
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Morpeth
Built-Up Area: Morpeth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Morpeth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/01/2015:
(Formerly listed as Former Presbyterian Church (formerly listed as School))
MORPETH COTTINGWOOD LANE
Formerly a Presbyterian Church, later-used as a school. 1722. Brick in English
Garden Wall Bond with ashlar dressings. Random rubble to rear. Later additions
in snecked stone. Welsh slate roof.
2-storey older parts to rear, with single-storey later addition projecting on
Older part has rusticated quoins and 2 large round-headed windows with moulded
imposts and architraves. To left a single-storey lean-to brick addition re-
using original quoins and architrave; above this a C20 window in original
architrave. Gabled roof with kneelers. C19 bellcote on right gable.
On left return two 24-pane margined sashes. On right return 2 blocked doors in
architraves and 2 similar windows on 1st floor.
Later addition 3 bays. Gabled porch on left. Windows boarded up at time of
survey. Gabled roof with kneelers and corniced left end stack.
Built for the Rev. John Horsley, author of Britannia Romana.
Included partly for historical interest.
Empty and in poor repair at time of survey.
Listing NGR: NZ1978886305
Other nearby listed buildings