This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1672 / 55°10'1"N
Longitude: -1.6883 / 1°41'17"W
OS Eastings: 419952
OS Northings: 585916
OS Grid: NZ199859
Mapcode National: GBR J8NP.8J
Mapcode Global: WHC2R.1D94
Entry Name: 30 and 32, Bridge Street
Listing Date: 22 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042756
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238697
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Morpeth
Built-Up Area: Morpeth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Morpeth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
MORPETH BRIDGE STREET
NZ 1985 (South side)
24/211 Nos. 30 and 32
Shops. C17 or early C18 core, largely remodelled early C19. Scored stucco
with Welsh slate roof. Rear wing dressed stone and pantiles.
3 storeys, 3 bays. C20 shop fronts on ground floor. Above raised alternating
quoins. 16-pane sashes in raised surrounds. 2nd floor band, and band at base
of plain parapet. Roof not visible.
Rear wings: L-plan forming courtyard (Old Gaol Yard) with front block and Nos.
26 and 28 (q.v.). Scattered fenestration with 16- and 12-pane sashes. Lead
downpipe and rainwater head dated 1704. South front of rear wing has C18
facade with 2-pane sashes in original openings on 1st floor and segmental-
arched half-dormers above; steeply-pitched gabled roof with kneelers.
Interior: Rear wing has possibly C17 doorway with shouldered lintel in re-
entrant angle with front block. Open-well late C17 or early C18 stair with
large turned balusters and heavily-moulded handrail. Stair well for former
wooden newel stair.
On the site of and incorporating masonry of the Old Gaol and Governors House
founded in 1704. This in turn stood on site of and probably incorporated
masonry of an earlier building shown on map of 1604.
In poor repair at time of survey.
Listing NGR: NZ1994985916
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings