This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1521 / 55°9'7"N
Longitude: -1.9563 / 1°57'22"W
OS Eastings: 402880
OS Northings: 584191
OS Grid: NZ028841
Mapcode National: GBR G8SV.8Y
Mapcode Global: WHB1G.XRLQ
Entry Name: Wallington Hall
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042869
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238469
Location: Wallington Demesne, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Wallington Demesne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Cambo Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
WALLINGTON DEMESNE WALLINGTON HALL
21/220 Wallington Hall
Country House built on site of earlier Fenwick house in 1688, for Sir William
Blackett; remodelled 1735-45, probably by Daniel Garrett, for Sir William
Calverley Blackett. Further alterations 1853-4 by John Dobson, on advice of
Ruskin. Tooled-and-margined stone, with dressings; slate roofs. Square plan
with ranges around courtyard, roofed over and converted into Central Hall in
1853 & 4;two small service wings to north. Classical style with little external
South front 2 storeys, 3+3+3 bays, symmetrical. Rusticated end quoins, bands
at lst floor and below eaves. Central slightly-projecting pedimented section
has French window in eared architrave under consoles carrying broken pediment
with Trevelyan arms, and flanked by 8-pane sashes; 18-pane sashes to 1st floor.
Flanking sections have 18-pane dashes with 15-pane sashes above and eaves cornice.
All windows in architraves set in shallow projections running the full height
of the wall. Top entablature has flattened ball finials with spikes on swept
bases flanking pediment and at ends of facade. Hipped roof.
East front 2+3+1+3+2 bays; plainer detail, central Tuscan porch. To far right
a 1-storey service wing with firebell in wooden bellcote on ridge.
Interior; notable mid-C18 plasterwork by Pietro Francini, especially in the
Saloon; also important contemporary woodwork. Simple but elegant Imperial stair.
Arcaded Central Hall has Pre-Raphaelite mural paintings by William Bell Scott,
and one panel by John Ruskin.
See articles by John Cornforth in Country Life MCLVII 854-8, 922-6, 986-9.
Listing NGR: NZ0288084191
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings