This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0505 / 55°3'1"N
Longitude: -2.1283 / 2°7'41"W
OS Eastings: 391902
OS Northings: 572899
OS Grid: NY919728
Mapcode National: GBR FBL1.1B
Mapcode Global: WHB1Z.8BS1
Entry Name: Haughton Castle
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043027
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239991
Location: Humshaugh, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Humshaugh
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Humshaugh St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 97 SW
2/232 Haughton Castle
Castle. C13, remodelled and heightened C14. Alterations c.1780, c.1816 and
1845 by John Dobson. West wing 1876 by Anthony Salvin; further internal
alterations 1889. Heavy coursed rubble with dressings, west wing squared stone
with ashlar dressings; flat leaded roofs; external stair to east under timber
canopy hung and roofed with stone slates. Rectangular tower-house with angle
South elevation 5 storeys, 5 bays, irregular, partly concealed by ivy at time
of survey. 2-storey arcade of blocked segmental-pointed arches, the central
partly behind 1845 2-storey oriel with 2-light 1st floor and 3-light 2nd floor
windows. 1st floor shows 2-light C19 windows to right of oriel bay; 2nd floor
three 2-light C14 windows with transoms and trefoiled heads, partly renewed;
elsewhere various chamfered loops. Embattled parapet with taller end turrets
and corbelled-out centre turret. To left, west wing in 2 sections; slightly-
projecting left part 3 storeys, 2 bays, with arched doorway; right part 2 storeys,
3 bays; 2- and 3-light transomed windows; embattled parapets.
East elevation shows 1812 external stair with late C19 canopy; above left 1845
oriel to oratory; to right projecting turret with chamfered set-backs and 7
levels of chamfered loops.
North elevation similar to south, with tall blocked arches and central 1845 bay.
C16 2- and 3-light transomed windows with round-headed lights to 2nd floor, some
restored. End turrets show corbelled-out garderobes at different levels.
Interior: basement has parallel axial segmental vaults with chamfered ribs.
Mural stair at east end to 1st floor, newel stair to upper floors in south-west
turret. Various mural chambers including former 1st-floor entrance lobby on
south, with good moulded C13 doorway, and 2nd floor oratory with piscina in
south-east turret. Fittings and furnishings mostly C19, but including 2 richly-
carved C17 overmantels from Derwentwater House, Newcastle.
The mid-C13 hall house may have had a 2-storey hall block with a taller solar
tower at the east end, the whole heightened in the C14 when the arcades (a
defensive feature, meurtriere in the arch soffits protecting the wall foot)
History of Northumberland XV (1940) 201-219.
Archaeologia Aeliana 4th Series XXIX (1951) 118-134.
Listing NGR: NY9190272899
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings