This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0506 / 55°3'2"N
Longitude: -2.1245 / 2°7'28"W
OS Eastings: 392143
OS Northings: 572904
OS Grid: NY921729
Mapcode National: GBR FBL1.V9
Mapcode Global: WHB1Z.BBK0
Plus Code: 9C7V3V2G+66
Entry Name: Haughton Mill House, Haughton Mill Cottage and Storage Building Between
Listing Date: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303190
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239996
Location: Humshaugh, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Humshaugh
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Humshaugh St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 97 SW
2/237 Haughton Mill House,
Cottage, and storage
Offices and drying shed of paper mill founded 1788 by Captain William Smith;
cottage at west end mid-C19. Now two dwellings with garage and storage between
and partly above. Squared stone with brick 1st floor, cut and tooled quoins
and dressings, cottage coursed rubble with tooled-and-margined dressings.
Welsh slate roof except for stone slates to eaves of main building, which has
South elevation: Main part 2 storeys, 5 + 3 + 4 bays with pedimented centre
set slightly forward. Central flush-panelled door in rusticated surround with
heavy triple keystone; 16-pane sash windows (some renewed) under wedge lintels
on ground floor. 1st-floor drying shed has large wood-slatted openings, the
central one round-arched, those in right part bricked-up and 12-pane sashes (2
renewed) inserted. Hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks and flanking stack to right.
Cottage to left 2 storeys, 2 bays. Central rebated segmental arch with inserted
Yorkshire sash window under 6-pane overlight. Fixed 12-pane casement on left;
4-pane sashes to right and in gabled half dormers above. Stepped-and-banded
end stacks. Included for group value.
Historical note. French assignats were forged here in 1793, to lower the value
of the currency of the revolutionary French government. The mill had ceased
working by 1888.
Listing NGR: NY9214372904
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings