This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7964 / 50°47'47"N
Longitude: 0.3145 / 0°18'52"E
OS Eastings: 563210
OS Northings: 102206
OS Grid: TQ632022
Mapcode National: GBR NW7.VR3
Mapcode Global: FRA C6KZ.LCH
Entry Name: Langney Priory
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293574
Location: Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN23
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: St Anthony's
Built-Up Area: Eastbourne
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Eastbourne, St Richard Langney
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 60 SW 13/38 27.5.49.
The oldest portion of this house is the chapel, refectory and dormitory
built by the Cluniacs before 1121 as part of the Grange of St Pancras at
Lewes. On 1st floor, garderobe and roof supported by tongued and grooved
kingpost. Doorway in church reputed to be of Saxon origin. The walls
are chequered work composed of rectangles of sandstone and knapped flints
placed alternately. There are 2 buttresses on the South side of which the
Western 1 is narrower than the other. It has a double chamfered modified
abacus above the ground level, and above this is wider than below, being on
that level hollow, and part of the adjoining room on the 1st floor with a
window in it. A very unusual feature of which the purpose is obscure but
may be connected with the smuggling trade.
The South wall has 1 trefoil headed lancet and 3 square-headed windows, 1 of
2 lights. The East wall has a window of 2 lights with cinque-foiled heads
and a quatrefoil between these and the pointed arch of the window. This
part of the building has a fine timbered roof, now covered with tiles.
A cobble fronted building with a lean-to roof has been added to the North
side of this medieval part of the house. This addition has been used at
some time as a brewery. The West or entrance front is a timber framed C16
building with 3 gables, the ground floor cemented, and a tiled roof. C18
sash windows have been inserted on the ground floor but still have C16 drip-
moulds over. The casement windows on the 1st floor are modern. This front,
given its fake Tudor covering about a hundred years ago, has a Victorian
porch with a slate roof. The West end of the South front, joining this
timber framed building to the medieval wing is also Cl6 inside but has been
stuccoed and has C18 sash windows inserted in it.
On the North side is a C17 brick and sandstone block with a tiled roof and
Listing NGR: TQ6321002206
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.