This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1858 / 51°11'9"N
Longitude: -0.611 / 0°36'39"W
OS Eastings: 497169
OS Northings: 143873
OS Grid: SU971438
Mapcode National: GBR FD2.N9X
Mapcode Global: VHFVT.CGB9
Plus Code: 9C3X59PQ+8H
Entry Name: Kings Arms Royal Hotel
Listing Date: 18 December 1947
Last Amended: 1 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291402
Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7
Civil Parish: Godalming
Built-Up Area: Godalming
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Godalming
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 9743 NW
HIGH STREET (north side)
Nos 18-20, and 22-26 (Kings Arms Royal Hotel)
(formerly listed as 6A, 6, 7 and 8)
Hotel and two shops. Mid C18 with some earlier fabric, later C18, C19 and C20 alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond with vitreous headers; plain tile roof.
Three storeys; eleven bays, end bays projecting, central five bays under pediment. Plinth; platbands between floors; stepped brick cornice broken in centre below pediment; parapet with raised pilasters and stepped top broken by pediment. Windows have segmental brick arches with dropped keystones, projecting sills, and sashes with glazing bars, unequally-hung and of nine panes on second floor, all in reveals.
Central entrance has recessed eight-panel door with panelled reveal in Tuscan porch with columns and rear pilasters and entablature with modillion cornice which supports wrought-iron balcony with scrolled central panels in front of French window above which rises tall round-arched window with glazing bars, keystone and imposts.
Basket-arched carriageway with imposts and keystone to bay one; C20 shop front to bays eight-eleven. Hotel sign hangs from iron bracket between bays three and four. Two decorative rainwater heads dated 1753. Various stacks.
Rear: two bay late C18 block to rear of bays two and three. Two storey wing of two builds to rear of bays six and seven, three bays deep, the two bays nearest main range having large sashes with glazing bars under segmental soldier-brick arches flanking blocked ground floor doorway; the end bay has similar sashes but unarched, and mathematical tiling (giving impression of Flemish bond brickwork) to upper part of first floor of side; tile-hung end wall.
Interior: ground floor has C19 panelling, architraves, fireplaces and stair on first floor C17 panelling to partition between rooms and rear corridor, also in left-hand room which has Tudor-arched stone fireplace with initials 'K', 'A' in spandrels; the steps up to this room have an C18-style columnar newel and the doors in to the front rooms are of C18-style, so it is probable that the C17 panelling was reused in an C18 refurbishment; front rooms have cornices; at right end on first floor are two large-panelled timber-framed cross-walls.
Second floor: large-panelled partition wall between rooms and rear corridor which has keyed arch, keyed architrave to stair door and panelled jambs to former window in rear wall; the rooms have plain panelling and cornices.
A coaching house existed on this site in the C17 and in 1698 Peter the Great stayed here (Coombs, p16).
Listing NGR: SU9713543839
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings