This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1879 / 51°11'16"N
Longitude: -0.6163 / 0°36'58"W
OS Eastings: 496799
OS Northings: 144090
OS Grid: SU967440
Mapcode National: GBR FD2.F0D
Mapcode Global: VHFVT.8DKR
Plus Code: 9C3X59QM+4F
Entry Name: Phillips Memorial Cloister
Listing Date: 1 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291287
Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7
Civil Parish: Godalming
Built-Up Area: Godalming
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Godalming
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/08/2015
SU 9644 SE
BOROUGH ROAD (east side),
Phillips Memorial Cloister
Memorial cloister. 1913 by H. Thackeray Turner, altered c1965 and 1986. Purplish brick in Flemish bond and timber; plain tile roofs. Rectangular on plan, having arcaded wall on east side; cloisters on north and west sides; and on south side open timber pergola of c1965 replacing former cloister (D Coombs, p.13). Exterior: west side: a flight of brick steps down to central archway which has tile jambs and cambered timber lintel; stepped dentilled eaves. North side: raking buttresses; stepped dentilled eaves. East side: 9 bays with 7-bay segmental-arched arcade having tile plinth, imposts and hoodmoulds; the 4 outer arches open, the 3 inner bays blind with central bench seat in tile-hung gabled porch and with raised segmental-headed panel over; outer bays (the ends of the cloister ranges) are gabled with round-arched vents; gabled tile coping. Interior: cloistered sides have timber posts supporting gabled roofs. East wall: central bay of arcade has commemorative ashlar plaque with recessed panel having decorative rose border and coat of arms at top, semicircular former fountain (now earth-filled) at base, and 4-step podium of stone setts below. The courtyard is paved with stone setts (laid in 8 sections) and has a raised octagonal pool in the centre. This was restored in 2012 during commemorations of the centenary of the sinking of the Titanic. The cloister was erected on the site of the old village animal pound in memory of J G Phillips of Godalming, who was chief wireless telegraphist on board the SS Titanic which sank in 1912. Phillips remained at his post, telegraphing for help, while the ship went down.
D Coombs, A Godalming Walk (1976), p.13. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Surrey (1971, 2nd edition), p.256.
Listing NGR: SU9679944090
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings