This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9481 / 54°56'53"N
Longitude: -1.926 / 1°55'33"W
OS Eastings: 404839
OS Northings: 561492
OS Grid: NZ048614
Mapcode National: GBR GCZ7.T1
Mapcode Global: WHB2G.DW3M
Plus Code: 9C6WW3XF+6J
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044831
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239827
Location: Bywell, Northumberland, NE43
Civil Parish: Bywell
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bywell St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
23/66 Church of St. Andrew
Parish Church. Pre-Conquest nave and tower; upper part of tower early C11, nave
and lower part of tower probably earlier. Chancel and south transept early C13.
Alterations 1830,1850 by John Dobson, and addition of north transept, chapel,
vestry and probably south porch 1871 by William Slater of London. Pre-Conquest
fabric heavy roughly-squared rubble with massive quoins, medieval parts coursed
rubble, C19 parts squared tooled stone with tooled ashlar quoins and dressings;
stone slate roofs. Alterations in C13 style. Cruciform with west tower, north
vestry and chapel, south porch.
Tall tower with string courses below and above belfry; apparent buttresses are
remains of west gable of taller Pre-Conquest nave. Lower stage has original
round-headed window on south, and similar window above C19 lancet on west; on
south, just below belfry, high-level doorway with monolithic arched head and
projecting imposts and bases which link to stripwork surround. Two-light belfry
openings with baluster mullions, impost blocks and stripwork surrounds; circular
sound holes (cf. Billingham) in tympana and to either side.
C19 porch with chamfered arch and trefoiled niche under steep gable. C19 lancets
throughout, paired in transepts and triplet at east end. Traces of old north
nave door and priest's door in chancel. 18 medieval cross slabs (9 complete)
re-set in walls on north. Chancel, south transept and C19 parts have chamfered
plinths and coped gables with moulded kneelers and finial crosses.
Interior: South door inside porch has chamfered C13 arch with hoodmould, holding
C19 door with floral ironwork. Slightly-pointed double-chamfered tower arch may
be post-medieval, on older square jambs. Double-chamfered chancel arch on
moulded capitals with altered responds, and squint to south. Similar south
transept arch on corbels with nailhead; north transept arch is a copy. North
chapel has 2 moulded arches on circular pier to chancel and single similar arch
to transept. Piscinae in chancel and south transept. Re-set cross slabs as
door and window lintels.
Mosaic reredos with SS Peter and Paul, mosaic paving in sanctuary, brass communion
rail. Carved pulpit with Frosterley marble shafts to pointed arcading; carved
stone eagle lectern. Octagonal font on old moulded base. Part of Saxon cross
set on Roman carved block in chancel. Early C19 memorial tablet in south
transept. Good Annunciation glass in north transept, Kings and shepherds in
north chapel and Resurrection in east window.
H.M. and J. Taylor, 'Anglo-Saxon Architecture' Vol. I (1965) 121-122.
Listing NGR: NZ0484261493
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings