This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1541 / 55°9'14"N
Longitude: -2.007 / 2°0'25"W
OS Eastings: 399653
OS Northings: 584420
OS Grid: NY996844
Mapcode National: GBR G8FV.96
Mapcode Global: WHB1G.4QK4
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 10 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044915
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239617
Location: Kirkwhelpington, Northumberland, NE19
Civil Parish: Kirkwhelpington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Kirkwhelpington with Kirkharle and Kirkheaton
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 98 SE KIRKWHELPINGTON KIRKWHELPINGTON VILLAGE
7/82 Church of St.Bartholomew
Parish church. C12 fragments. Chancel and nave largely C13 with C15 alterations.
Restored 1897. Dressed stone and Lakeland slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel
and south porch.
West tower of several builds. Lower masonry C12 or C13. Low, late Perpendicular
west door with Tudor lintel. Buttresses of various dates C13-C16. Battlements
and crocketed pinnacles Perpendicular features. Victorian 3-light bell openings
with Perpendicular tracery.
Similar windows in 3-bay C13 nave. South porch, possibly C16, has plain chamfered
round arch and sundial above dated 1764. South door is C13 and has 2 orders of
columns, with nailhead in the capitals, and multi-moulded arch. Nave north wall
has one original and one Victorian lancet.
Chancel has blocked priest's door and one lancet on south side; also large C18
12-pane sash window. East end lengthened 1897 and given 3 stepped lancets.
Gabled roof with kneelers and flat coping.
Interior has blocked tower arch with 1 order of columns, scalloped capitals and
pronounced chevron mouldings in the pointed arch. This may have been chancel
arch of earlier church and has C12 and C13 fragments built into wall which blocks
it. C13 chancel arch with octagonal responds. Trefoiled sedilia with slender
C13 shafts. C17 octagonal font using upturned C14 capital as base. Mahogany
pulpit with tester, 1797. Tablet of 1743 with aedicule and coat of arms to Gawen
and Mary Aynsley on chancel north wall. Several good tablets set in chancel floor.
Medieval grave cover with foliated cross used as lintel of north lancet.
Archeologia Aeliana: New Series XVI 1894.
Listing NGR: NY9965384420
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings