History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Farm with Attached Farmyard Wall and Outbuildings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Worksop, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2874 / 53°17'14"N

Longitude: -1.1373 / 1°8'14"W

OS Eastings: 457611

OS Northings: 377065

OS Grid: SK576770

Mapcode National: GBR NZHF.L8

Mapcode Global: WHDF7.HMNN

Plus Code: 9C5W7VP7+X3

Entry Name: Castle Farm with Attached Farmyard Wall and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Last Amended: 1 April 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045026

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241251

Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80

County: Nottinghamshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Worksop South

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Worksop St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Worksop

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/05/2020


SK 57 NE
WORKSOP
CASTLE FARM LANE
3/44
Castle Farm with attached Farmyard wall and outbuildings (Formerly listed under Workshop Manor)
13.2.67

II*

Farmhouse and Garden folly, 1758. Reputedly designed by the Duchess of Norfolk with the assistance of James Paine in the Gothic style. Coursed rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Quoins. Ashlar plinth, plain ground floor band and moulded first floor band. All topped with coped battlements. Courtyard plan. The north range has a central two storey, five bay pavilion with a central two storey canted bay window. The central opening, once a doorway, has a Gothic ogee double arch moulded surround with a glazing bar sash, either side are single similar sashes with moulded ogee heads, and beyond single ogee headed niches. Above, five smaller glazing bar sashes with four centred arched heads. This pavilion is linked by walls to flanking stepped gable pavilions. Each with a single ogee headed glazing bar sash, and above a blank quatrefoil, all within a large flush pointed arch. These pavilions are in turn linked by walls to single corner overs. These two storey towers have single ogee headed blank openings with quatrofoils above. The east and west ranges have high boundary walls with central and corner slightly projecting towers. The south range has corner towers, and single lean-to cart sheds either side of the central gateway. The interior of the courtyard contains various C20 buildings of no interest. The interior of the central pavilion has a large ground floor banqueting room with ogee headed windows and door surrounds, a four centred arch into the bay and a plaster vault ceiling with ornate foliate corbels.

Listing NGR: SK5761177065

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.