This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0123 / 53°0'44"N
Longitude: -0.9809 / 0°58'51"W
OS Eastings: 468468
OS Northings: 346597
OS Grid: SK684465
Mapcode National: GBR 9JJ.4SY
Mapcode Global: WHFHS.XK21
Entry Name: Hoveringham Mill and Mill Farm House
Listing Date: 24 August 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045558
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242025
Location: Hoveringham, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG14
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Hoveringham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hoveringham
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
HOVERINGHAM HOVERINGHAM MILL
SK 64 NE LANE (north side)
4/73 Hoveringham Mill
and Mill Farm
Water, corn mill and house over Dover Beck. Dated 1778 and 1846.
Red brick. Pantile roofs. 3 storeys plus garret, 3 bay mill, to
the right and slightly set back is a single storey, 2 bay wing
and further right the 2 storey, 2 bay house. Projecting from and
extending the house is a 2 storey, 3 bay 1846 range. Mill with
single red brick stack to the rear left and dentil eaves. Single
central fixed light under a segmental arch. To the left is a
doorway with double plank door under a segmental arch. Above
right is a single glazing bar fixed light with a single fixed
light under a segmental arch to the left and further left a later
opening with plank door and concrete sill. In the left gable is
an ashlar plaque inscribed "BCF 1778". Attached to the left is
an open lean-to and further left a smaller open lean-to. To the
right is the single storey, 2 bay wing which houses the water
wheel. Raised brick eaves to the left. Doorway with plank door
opening to the area with the wheel. To the right is an entrance
with C20 iron gate. To the right is the C18 house with left
gable red brick C20 stack and dentil eaves. Single glazing bar
sash under a segmental arch and to the right a single blocked
opening under a segmental arch. Above is a single glazing bar
sash with a single small sash to the right. Projecting from the
right is the C19 extension with 2 C20 red brick gable stacks,
dogtooth eaves and blue brick band at base. Central doorway, 2
steps up, with panelled door, glazing bar overlight and hood
supported on 2 brackets. Either side are single glazing bar
sashes under segmental arches. Above are 3 glazing bar sashes.
In the left gable is an ashlar plaque inscribed "R F 1846". To
the rear of the mill are later C19 2 and single storey extensions
and to the rear of the house are single storey wings and
outbuildings. Extending over the mill race and in front of the
right 2 bays of the mill and the single storey wing for 10 metres
is a red brick wall with brick coping, terminating at the north
side in a small pier with shaped ashlar coping and at the south
end in shaped ashlar coping. The wall curves to accommodate the
2 segmental arches which are divided by a single brick pier.
Projecting from either side of the arches is a single coursed
rubble wall. Interior of mill contains all original machinery
and some equipment including 3 pairs of stones, gearing, wooden
water wheel of 11 feet diameter, pit wheel, great spur wheel,
face gear wheel, hoppers, hoist and vats. Patmore, F. W.,
Fincher, R., Summers, N. Hoveringham Water Mill. Transactions
of the Thoroton Society, 1966. Vol.70.
Listing NGR: SK6846846597
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings