This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9818 / 51°58'54"N
Longitude: -1.3169 / 1°19'0"W
OS Eastings: 447009
OS Northings: 231701
OS Grid: SP470317
Mapcode National: GBR 7TT.PW2
Mapcode Global: VHCWN.4G43
Entry Name: Castle End monks Court
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Last Amended: 5 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243874
Location: Deddington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Deddington
Built-Up Area: Deddington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Deddington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP43SE DEDDINGTON CASTLE STREET
3/150 Castle End and Monks Court
08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Castle
Large farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. Early C16 and 1647 (on datestone), altered and
extended late C18. Marlstone rubble with ashlar dressings and wooden lintels;
coursed squared marlstone with limestone-ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate
roofs with ashlar stacks. 4-unit plan in 2 builds with added outshut and rear
wings. 2 storeys and 2 storeys plus attic. Rubble right half of front is at
least partly C16 or earlier, but now has three 16-pane late-C18 sashes at each
floor, all with wooden lintels. To left of the windows a fine 4-centre-arched
C16 moulded stone doorway with label is sheltered by a 2-storey porch, with a
2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned window above a moulded stone doorway
(probably restored) with moulded label and lozenge stops; the gable has a panel
inscribed 1647. Probably contemporary, although without the chamfered plinth, is
the 3-window range to left, which has similar mullioned windows of 2, 3 and 5
lights aligned below 2 stone gables, and has an additional 2-light window
without a label set between the first-floor windows; the ground-floor windows
are unusually large but are probably C17. Left end wall has further mullioned
windows. Steep-pitched roof has stacks to both gables and to right of centre.
Right gable all is rebuilt and returns to a late-C17/C18 rear wing with later
windows. To rear of main range a late-C18 outshut, now partly raised, includes a
higher section containing a tall arched stair window with Gothick glazing bars;
at the left end of the range the outshut extends to rear to link with a small
C18 range, probably originally stable and loft, now part of Monks Court.
Interior: right half of Castle End has stop-chamfered cross beams and a 2-bay
roof. The central truss, with collar and cambered chamfered tiebeam, supports 2
rows of butt purlins. The roof may be early C18 or earlier. Left half has a
2-bay early-C16 roof, with trenched purlins and a ridge beam supported on a fine
arch-braced collar truss worked with hollow chamfers. A large Tudor-arched stone
fireplace with recessed spandrels and an arched single-light window (now
internal) survive at first floor and are probably contemporary with the roof.
Monks Court retains a mid-C17 open fireplace with the bressumer chamfer
returning down the jambs, but was re-modelled internally late C18 and has
joinery of that date, including a stair with stick balusters and an inlaid
ramped and wreathed mahogany handrail; the stair hall has a 4-centred plaster
vault. The second early-C16 truss illustrated by Wood Jones has been destroyed
by the construction of a party wall. There is no evidence of the open hall, but
it is likely to have occupied the site of Monks Court.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p571; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p97; R.
Wood-Jones: Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region: 1963,
Listing NGR: SP4700931700
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings