This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9295 / 51°55'46"N
Longitude: -1.1163 / 1°6'58"W
OS Eastings: 460859
OS Northings: 226036
OS Grid: SP608260
Mapcode National: GBR 9YB.SR4
Mapcode Global: VHCWY.LRQP
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Edburga
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046404
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243712
Location: Stratton Audley, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27
Civil Parish: Stratton Audley
Built-Up Area: Stratton Audley
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stratton Audley and Goddington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STRATTON AUDLEY CHURCH LANE
SP6026 (West side)
21/119 Church of St. Mary and St.
Church. C14 and C15. Restoration of 1861 by Roger Smith. Coursed limestone
rubble. Chancel has a slate roof with stone coped gable, the other roofs not
visible. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, north porch. 4-window range on north.
Chancel has a 3-light Perpendicular east window. 2-light Perpendicular windows
to north and south have square heads, hood moulds and label stops. Diagonal
buttresses. Stone parapet. North aisle has a 3-light east window with
intersecting tracery; two 4-light Perpendicular windows, one restored and a
lancet to right of porch. Crenellated stone parapet with gargoyles.
Perpendicular stone porch has a wide moulded and chamfered archway. Bench seats.
Decorated stone 4-centred arched north door has moulded and chamfered jambs.
Crenellated parapet with finials. Diagonal buttresses with gargoyles. West tower
of 4 stages. Pointed arched west doorway. 2-light Perpendicular window to first
and bell-stages, the latter with louvres. Elsewhere lancets. Angle buttresses.
Crenellated parapet with finials. South aisle has 2 entrances one with a pointed
arched head, the other to right with a reused C12 doorway. Plank doors. 2-light
Decorated windows to left. Two 4-light Perpendicular windows to right. Stone
parapet with gargoyles. Nave has three, 2-light Perpendicular clerestory
windows. C15 chancel roof has cusped struts and open tracery between the beams
and braces. Nave and aisles have restored C19 roof incorporating earlier
timbers. 3 bay north and south arcades. The north arcade has clustered Early
English piers. The south arcade appears similar but recut rather than rebuilt in
the C14. Jacobean pulpit. Medieval octagonal font. Medieval parish chest. South
chapel has a Baroque monument to Sir John Burlase, d.1688. Elaborate alabaster
memorial on grand scale (BOE). A reclining figure in periwig and Roman armour
flanked by twisted columns and mourning women. Above and below are cherubs,
drapery, swags, garlands and a cartouche on a broken segmental pediment.
Alabaster cartouche memorial to Baldwin Borlase, d.1678. Strapwork surround with
drapery and cherubs. Stained glass: in the east window of the north aisle,
fragments of C14 glass including the arms of Ficuves of Segrave and a frontal
head of Christ. Grotesque lions head of C15 in south chancel windows. Early C14
shield of Clare and family and foliage fragments in west window of south aisle.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp794-5; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI,
Listing NGR: SP6085626034
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings