This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8221 / 51°49'19"N
Longitude: -1.2363 / 1°14'10"W
OS Eastings: 452731
OS Northings: 213996
OS Grid: SP527139
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y6.L8G
Mapcode Global: VHCXG.JG8J
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 26 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046539
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243332
Location: Islip, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX5
Civil Parish: Islip
Built-Up Area: Islip
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Islip
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ISLIP THE WALK
SP5214, SP5213 (East side)
12/90, 13/90 The Old Rectory
Rectory, now house. 1689-90 for Dr. Robert South, Rector, restored 1807 for Dean
Vincent, enlarged mid C19. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings;
Stonesfield-slate roof with ashlar gable stacks. Double-pile plan. 2 storeys
plus attic. Garden front includes the original symmetrical 5-window front with
chamfered rusticated quoins and keyblock arches (segmental at ground floor);
windows all have 12-pane C18 sashes, and the glazed central door has a canopy on
richly-carved console brackets. Double-span roof has a C19/C20 cornice, gable
parapets, and has 2 hipped C18 roof dormers. The 2-storey, 2-window C19 range to
left has segmental-arched sashes and a central glazed door. A lead downpipe to
left of the main door has an elaborate hopperhead with a cartouche enclosing the
inscription "RS/DD" above the date 1689. This is shown on a late C17 engraving,
which also shows cross windows and 3 pedimented dormers. Left gable wall of main
block has a large sundial on the parapet wall, linking the chimneys. Rear of
main range now the entrance front, has a 3-window arrangement of
segmental-arched leaded cross windows, the central window at half height over a
low doorway; the doorway inserted into the right window opening has an old
6-panel door with console brackets to the canopy similar to those on the garden
front; to left of the low doorway is a small oval window. The roof has a moulded
wooden cornice, possibly original, and 3 hipped roof dormers. C19 single-bay
extension to right. Short range projecting on left, and linking to the tithe
barn range (q.v.) has a tall cross window and a doorway with a further similar
canopy. Interior: broad late C17 dogleg stair, to first floor, with barleytwist
balusters; secondary dogleg stairs, at either end of the spine passage, rise to
attics with turned balusters and may be early C18. Oak bolection-mould panelling
of dining room is probably early C20. 3 heavy 4-centre arched chamfered wooden
doorframes in the cellar may have been re-used from an earlier building. The
house was used by several Deans of Westminster who held the living in plurality.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.207; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.664).
Listing NGR: SP5273113996
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings