This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0619 / 52°3'42"N
Longitude: -1.3354 / 1°20'7"W
OS Eastings: 445662
OS Northings: 240598
OS Grid: SP456405
Mapcode National: GBR 7ST.R64
Mapcode Global: VHCW7.SFXP
Entry Name: Browns clays Butchers lunn Poly
Listing Date: 9 April 1952
Last Amended: 14 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046969
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244339
Location: Banbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX16
Civil Parish: Banbury
Built-Up Area: Banbury
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Banbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BANBURY HIGH STREET
SP4540NE (North side)
7/48 Nos.85 (Lunn Poly), No.86
09/04/52 (Browns) and No.87 (Clays
(Formerly listed as No.85,
No.86 and No.87)
House, now shops. Dated 1650. Built for Edward Vivers, Mercer. Restored 1847.
Brick, ironstone and stucco, Welsh slate roof, brick ridge stack. 2 storeys plus
attic; 3-window range. Frontage to High Street has three C20 shop fronts on
ground floor. 3 bow windows to first floor have ovolo moulded wood mullions,
with timber framing between. 3 gable front full dormers have 3-light windows.
Jettied attic storey has carved wooden frieze with pendants, some renewed, and
ornamental bargeboards with finials. Roughcast with pargetting in heartshapes
and fleurs-de-lys. Left end: brick ground floor to C20 shop front. First floor
has 3 classical style pedimented wooden windows on brackets. Single gabled
dormer with casement to left. Sundial on front. Interior: ground floor has
stop-chamfered moulded beams. First floor has two C17 stone fireplaces, one with
moulded jambs, and flanking pilasters. Renewed straight flight stair.
Butt-purlin roof. Photograph in N.M.R.
(Potts, W., A History of Banbury, 1958, p.205; Buildings of England:
Oxfordshire, 1974, p.441; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.X, p.32).
Listing NGR: SP4566240598
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings