This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7546 / 51°45'16"N
Longitude: -1.2588 / 1°15'31"W
OS Eastings: 451258
OS Northings: 206472
OS Grid: SP512064
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.SPM
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.45C8
Plus Code: 9C3WQP3R+RF
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalen
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047218
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245633
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary Magdalen
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
612/8/137 MAGDALEN STREET
12-JAN-54 CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN
Parish church. (RCHM 35). Late C13 chancel. South chapel, circa 1330.
North and South aisles have arcades rebuilt early in Cl6. West tower, between
1511 and 1531. South porch, warly Cl6. Cl7 and C18 monuments. Church restored,
1840-42, which included rebuilding of North aisle by Scott and Moffatt and
the South aisle by Blore. Restored, galleries removed and tower and roofs
repaired, 1875, by William Wilkinson. Tower parapet restored, 1890, and windows
and buttresses on South and South West restored, 1912-13, by H W Moore.
Fittings include Cl6/Cl7 and Cl9 (O'connor) glass. The Cl9 restoration was
as a memorial to the Oxford Martyrs.
Listing NGR: SP5125906470
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings