History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rycote House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Haseley, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7372 / 51°44'13"N

Longitude: -1.0359 / 1°2'9"W

OS Eastings: 466667

OS Northings: 204714

OS Grid: SP666047

Mapcode National: GBR B0Y.2WN

Mapcode Global: VHDVF.0L6M

Plus Code: 9C3WPXP7+VJ

Entry Name: Rycote House

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 21 May 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047513

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246837

Location: Great Haseley, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Haseley

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Haseley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in


6/71 Rycote House
18/07/63 (Formerly listed as Rycote
Manor and stable block N of


Large house. Early C16 (part possibly earlier) and C20. Brick with stone
dressings; limestone rubble; old plain-tile roof with brick stacks. 3 ranges
around a courtyard. Entrance front of right wing (main house), of 2 storeys plus
attics in diaper brickwork with stone plinth, has 4-centre arched doorway with
label, 2-light stone mullioned window to right (possibly re-set) and, above it,
a 3-light mullioned window with label. Both windows have concave-moulded
4-centre arched lights with recessed spandrels and leaded lights. To left of
door is a C20 sash with 2 more at first floor. Small C20 roof dormers. To right
is a small contemporary 3-storey projecting wing with a 4-centre arched door in
the angle, stone quoins, stepped gable with moulded copings and, at second
floor, a corbelled chimney projection with a tall octagonal brick gable stack.
The remainder of the range to left is probably largely rebuilt and is masked by
a parallel C20 range of 4 windows in rubble with brick dressings. 3-window
return front to right, in diaper brickwork with crenellated parapet and stepped
gable of main range, has similar stone-mullioned windows with labels, the
largest, of 5 lights, in the gable. Garden front at rear of range, in diaper
brickwork with, deep early C18 plaster cove, has 3-window arrangement of sashes
with tripartite sash to right of central door, all under renewed gauged brick
flat arches. Immediately to left of door is a restored 2-light mullioned window
with a single light above. To extreme right is a brick buttress with a stone
bracket and ogee canopy and, beyond, a rebuilt 2-window section incorporating a
2-storey canted bay window and a 3-light stone-mullioned window. The 2-storey
rubble central range has an irregular 7-window front with renewed casements.
Similar 6-window range to left of courtyard includes a 3-light stone-mullioned
window with leaded lights, and the remains of 3 small oak-framed windows at
first floor. Gable wall has segmental-arched carriage door under a
weatherboarded gable. Left end of centre range has a timber-framed gable with
herringbone brick infill, and right end is enclosed by a small courtyard with
walls of diaper brickwork incorporating re-set features. Interior: Main range
has some coffered ceilings, a timber-framed partition including remains of 3
door frames with moulded chamfer stops, a 4-centre arched doorway with original
door and hinge, and a butt-purlin roof. Other ranges have early clasped-purlin
roofs of about 10 bays (centre) and 7 bays (left) with heavy curved struts
rising from the framed lower collar to upper purlin, and with curved windbraces.
The buildings formed part of the mansion probably re-built after 1521 by Sir
John Heron, Treasurer to Henry VIII, and/or after 1539 by Sir John Williams
(later Baron Williams of Thame), and are shown to the left and forward of the
main house in views of c.1695 by Winstanley, marked "stables", and of 1714 by
Kip. The main house was burned down in 1745.
(J. Salmon, Rycote Chapel, MPBW Guidebook, 1967; Buildings of England:
Oxfordshire, pp.748-9).

Listing NGR: SP6666804724

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.