This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7736 / 51°46'25"N
Longitude: -1.3131 / 1°18'47"W
OS Eastings: 447493
OS Northings: 208553
OS Grid: SP474085
Mapcode National: GBR 7XB.QV6
Mapcode Global: VHCXM.6P66
Plus Code: 9C3WQMFP+FQ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 9 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048274
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249843
Location: Wytham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX2
Civil Parish: Wytham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wytham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
10/166 Church of All Saints
Church. Early C14 and C15: whollyrebuilt 1811 for the 5th Earl of Abingdon.
Uncoursed roughly dressed limestone; coursed dressed limestone to chancel.
Stone-coped stone-slate roofs. Chancel, and nave; west tower added 1811. Early
C14 Curvilinear 2-light east window: east gable also has early C19 trefoiled
light above early C16 round-headed light, and offset corner buttresses. 2-bay
south wall of chancel has C15 cinquefoil-headed lights. 3-bay south wall of nave
has early C14 two-light Decorated windows with unusual radiating mouchettes in
head: north wall of nave has early C16 round-headed light, and early C14
two-light Decorated window to east of early C17 ashlar porch which has trefoiled
spandrels to doorway and cinquefoil-headed side lights: C14 two-centred north
doorway frames early C19 panelled and ribbed door. North aisle has early C16
2-light windows in end walls. Tower: C15-style door with scrolled ends to label
mould; west door with Gothick head set in 2-centred moulded arch; late C15
two-light round-headed window and early C19 two-light window; stair-turret to
south. Cinquefoiled lights to belfry; crenellated parapet. Interior: sanctuary
has black and white quarry floor, dated 1701. Early C17 communion table; early
C19 communion rail. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Early C19 Gothick pulpit and
octagonal font on thin stem. Early C19 pews, and musicians' gallery with 3-bay
segmental-arched arcade and thin Gothic-style panels. Early C19 hammer-beam
roof: nave roof rests on early C14 head corbels, one of which shows a man
playing bagpipes. Memorials: late C17 and C18 plain lozenge-shaped floor slabs.
Reset brass of William de Wytham (d.1406) and wife with 3 shields reset on early
C19 inscription. Three C17 wall tablets in chancel inscribed 1634/AP and 1624/TP
set in heart, and to John Paynton, 1612. Stained glass: very fine C18 Adoration
of the Shepherds in east window. Early C16 Flemish glass and C16 heraldic glass
in south chancel windows. Nave has memorial windows of 1912, and of 1920 and
1930 by Robert Anning Bell. The rebuilt church incorporated material from Cumnor
Place (demolished 1811), namely the early C14 east window and nave windows: the
north door, head corbels and other details were re-used from the original
church. The church borders the gardens of Wytham Abbey (q.v.) the former seat
of the Earls of Abingdon and restored 1809-10.
(V.C.H.: Vol.IV, p.429; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.314; Bodleian
Library, M.S. Top., Berks, c.57, Jol.l19, for drawings of church before and
after rebuilding; National Monuments Record).
Listing NGR: SP4749608556
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings