This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7733 / 51°46'23"N
Longitude: -1.3142 / 1°18'51"W
OS Eastings: 447416
OS Northings: 208516
OS Grid: SP474085
Mapcode National: GBR 7XB.Y91
Mapcode Global: VHCXM.5PLF
Plus Code: 9C3WQMFP+88
Entry Name: Wytham Abbey and attached wall
Listing Date: 6 August 1952
Last Amended: 24 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249854
Location: Wytham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX2
Civil Parish: Wytham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wytham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
10/177 Wytham Abbey and attached wall
06/08/52 (Formerly listed as Wytham
Country house, now flats. Late C15 and C16 for Harcourt family; remodelled and
partly rebuilt (to left) for Fifth Earl of Abingdon in 1809-10 by Thomas Cundy.
Limestone ashlar; gabled stone slate roof, except Welsh slate, C20 tiles and
lead roofs to inner ranges; numerous stone ashlar stacks. Originally centred
around 2 courtyards which were infilled in early C19, making triple-depth plan.
2 storeys and attic; 9-window range. Entered by 3-storey gatehouse in third bay
from left: offset corner buttresses; early C19 studded doors set in Tudor-arched
doorway; late C15 three-light oriel windows with cinquefoil heads; moulded
string course with gargoyles, crenellated parapet; diagonal stair-turret to left
and larger crenellated stair-turret to right. Early C19 two-window range to
left: early C19 three-light mullioned and transomed round-headed windows: 2
front gables linked by crenellated parapet. 6-window range to right: late
C15/C16 two- and 3-light mullioned round-headed windows, with crenellated
parapet linked to 3 symmetrical gables. Similar recessed bay to right attached
at right angles to crenellated limestone rubble wall with octagonal ashlar pier.
To right is similar style 3-window range, and early C19 service range with
gabled Welsh slate roof. Rear of main range: late C15/C16 two-light round-headed
windows, and doorway: late C15 three-light round-headed mullioned and transomed
windows above similar 2- and 3-light mullioned windows flank canted bay window
with similar 5-light window with crenellated parapet. Early C19 four-window
range to left has similar mullioned and transomed windows; projecting gabled
bays to left, linked by loggia in left side wall. Interior: early C19 entrance
hall leading to staircase hall with open-well stairs. Gatehouse has late C15/C16
reset armorial stained glass: late C15 fireplace with corbel heads to
trefoil-panelled shaped overmantle with Harcourt arms above: newel staircase has
original stone treads at top. Early C19 panelled room with marble fireplace and
plaster ceiling to rear: early C19 Abingdon arms in room right of staircase:
early C19 doors and fireplaces throughout. Flat 3 to left of gatehouse: large
mid C19 marble fireplace: late C16 reset stained glass panels includes 3 Tudor
roses, kneeling figure, and 4 heraldic panels with initials IE and ER: four C18
stained glass panels with domestic scenes and Annunciation scene. The manor
house was bought by Sir Richard Harcourt in 1459: it passed to the Norreys
family in the late C16 and later James Bertie who became Earl of Abingdon in
1682. When remodelled in 1811 the south courtyard, surrounded by domestic wings,
was built over to include the entrance hall and staircase.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.314; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, pp,427-9;
H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, 1978, p.245;
Bodleian library, MS Top. Berkshire, C.51 No.238; National Monuments Record).
Listing NGR: SP4741908519
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings