This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5922 / 51°35'32"N
Longitude: -1.4321 / 1°25'55"W
OS Eastings: 439433
OS Northings: 188307
OS Grid: SU394883
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y5.4QM
Mapcode Global: VHC12.477Q
Entry Name: White Lodge, St Mary's Convent
Listing Date: 3 December 1969
Last Amended: 22 January 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251168
Location: Wantage, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Wantage
Built-Up Area: Wantage
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WANTAGE DENCHWORTH ROAD
SU3988 (West side)
6/73 White Lodge
House. 1899, by M.H. Baillie-Scott. For chaplains of St. Mary's convent (q.v.).
Roughcast, with limestone ashlar dressings; old tile roof; roughcast stacks. 2
storeys and attic; 7-window range. Arts and Crafts style. Asymmetrical elevation
has 3 recessed gabled walls to front, with porch in central narrow gable;
semi-circular tympanum arch over plank door. Flat-faced stone-mullioned windows
with leaded lights. Original rainwater goods with decorative heads. Flat-roofed
roof dormer with moulded cornice and 2-light casement. Gabled roof; gable end,
ridge and rear lateral stacks. One-storey extension in similar style to right of
front. Interior noted has having Art Nouveau features including canopies of
quasi-inglenooks and pierced carving to stair balustrade. Barrel-vaulted 1st
floor room, with small chapel recess. Noted as a fine example of Baillie-Scott's
work (Pevsner). Interior inspection not possible because closed order.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.255-6).
Listing NGR: SU3943588307
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
House for chaplains of St Mary's Convent, 1899 to the designs of M H Baillie Scott.
White Lodge, a house of 1899 in the Arts and Crafts tradition, by M H Baillie-Scott for the chaplains of St. Mary's Convent.
MATERIALS: roughcast, with limestone ashlar dressings and tiled coverings to the roof with roughcast stacks.
EXTERIOR: two storeys with an attic and a seven-window range. The principal asymmetrical elevation has three recessed gabled walls to the front, with the porch in a central narrow gable having a semi-circular tympanum arch over the plank door. The stone-mullioned windows have flat faces and leaded lights. The original rainwater goods have decorative heads. There is a flat-roofed dormer with a moulded cornice and two-light casement. The gabled roof has stacks to the gable end, ridge and rear. To the right (north) is a one-storey extension in a similar style.
INTERIOR: not inspected but described in the Buildings of England as unaltered and having Art Nouveau features. The drawing room and dining rooms are separated by a retractable wooden screen and have brick fireplaces with curved copper hoods and built-in seating, creating an inglenook effect. The staircase, located to one side of the building, is plain with unornamented newels. East of the staircase is a private chapel with a stained glass window in light green glass by Florence Camm depicting the Virgin and Child. To the first floor is a barrel-valuted room.
The Community of St Mary the Virgin (CSMV) was founded in 1848 by William John Butler, then Vicar of Wantage but later Dean of Lincoln, following the spiritual revival in the Church of England known as the Oxford Movement. CSMV was one of the first Anglican Religious Communities to be founded in England since the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII.
From the beginning there was an emphasis on simplicity of life, the first Rules being drawn up in 1854. These were revised in 1863 but the fully printed Rule and Consititution did not appear until 1896, from which time the sisters took explicit vows of poverty, chastity and obedience as they continue to do to this day. The Community grew over the years and was active in both social missions in the UK and overseas.
The original Convent building by G E Street was built in 1855-6, with the Chapel of St Mary Magdelene also by Street constructed in 1858-61. The Convent was extended by the addition of a long wing to the right in 1860; the refectory was added in 1866, extended 1871-2 and altered in 1900. Butterfield added a Noviciate to the north of the Street’s buildings in 1878 and the construction of a larger chapel by J L Pearson began in 1887, lengthened in 1900, the east end of which was reconfigured by Sir Ninian Comper in 1923.
The White Lodge was built in 1899 for the chaplains to the convent to designs by M H Baillie Scott (1865-1945), a nationally renowned Arts and Crafts architect with numerous listed buildings to his name, many at the highest grades.
The White Lodge to St Mary's Convent, 1899 to designs by M H Baillie-Scott, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* A distinctive composition by one of the foremost British Arts and Crafts architects of the time;
* With the historically and functionally associated convent buildings and gateway, listed separately at Grade II, and Pearson's convent chapel, listed at Grade II*.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings