History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kingston Lisle, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5865 / 51°35'11"N

Longitude: -1.5306 / 1°31'50"W

OS Eastings: 432618

OS Northings: 187622

OS Grid: SU326876

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y1.HTR

Mapcode Global: VHC10.FD63

Plus Code: 9C3WHFP9+JQ

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 21 November 1966

Last Amended: 11 December 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048718

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250718

Location: Kingston Lisle, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Kingston Lisle

Built-Up Area: Kingston Lisle

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Balking

Description


KINGSTON LISLE
SU38NW
6/88 Church of St. John the Baptist
21/11/66 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. John)

GV II*


Parish church. Chancel c.1200, early C19 vestry; nave c.1200; bell turret and
porch c.1883. Rendered walls, except chalk and sarsen coursed rubble to vestry,
limestone dressings, slate roof. East window with reticulated tracery; 2-bay
chancel with one-and 2-light early C14 windows with reticulated tracery and one
- light lancets of c.1200. Early C19 vestry with double flue chimney stack to
north has plank door with shouldered arch and 3-light windows with cinquefoiled
heads and label mould over. Nave has one lancet of c.1200 and two 2-light early
C19 windows with segmental heads to south wall: north wall has one 2- light
and one 3-light mid C17 stone-mullioned window; late C19 timber porch on stone
base; north door c.1200 has dog tooth ornament to semi-circular arch, engaged
columns to jambs, and studded door with decorative iron hinges of c.1200. At
west end is timber bell-turret with spirelet, c.1883. Interior: chancel has
some C14 stained glass in south window. C14 wall paintings around east and
north windows depict figures of St. Peter and St. Paul on a ground diapered
with sexfoil flowers, large figures of the saints; Herod's Feast with Salome
dancing,decollation of the Baptist below, the Baptist's head on head of Christ
with a cruciform nimbus and Herod with Salome bearing a charger; mid C17
panelling behind altar, mid C17 balustraded altar rail, mid C17 two-bay roof
with moulded bridging beam and rafters. Mid C17 chancel screen. Nave: mid C17
pulpit has carved tester with richly panelled support, and each face bearing
carved escutcheon; plain font of c.1200; late C19 benches have C15 bench ends
with traceried heads and arms, instruments of the passion etc. 4-bay, mainly
C17, roof with carved king post. [Buildings of England, Berkshire, p.161.1 ]


Listing NGR: SU3261887622

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.