History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Coxwell, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6399 / 51°38'23"N

Longitude: -1.594 / 1°35'38"W

OS Eastings: 428190

OS Northings: 193534

OS Grid: SU281935

Mapcode National: GBR 5W1.5SX

Mapcode Global: VHC0S.B15N

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 21 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048820

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250554

Location: Little Coxwell, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Little Coxwell

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Faringdon

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


SU 29 SE 2/8 21.11.66 Church of St Mary


Transitional with Early English and Perpendicular alterations and an extensive late
C19 restoration. Rubble stone and roughcast with stone dressings, gabled stone tiled
roof and dressed stone copings. 2 bay nave, 2 bay chancel, double bellcote between
nave and chancel, S porch and N vestry. S side of nave has a pointed headed window of
2 cusped lights and a Perpendicular 3 cusped light window under a flat head with
carved label heads - one with a sugar bag hat. Nave N side has a C19 2 cusped light
window. The gabled bellcote is C13 with 2 pointed openings and a quatrefoil above
with a sundial on its S face. S side of chancel has a Perp. window of 2 tiers of
4 cusped lights with a transom between under a flat head with shield labels, a plainly
moulded Transitional priest's door and one 2 cusped light C19 window. C19 Decorated
style 3 light window to the E and a similar C19 W window with a quatrefoil in a
roundel above. Perp. S porch with a gabled stone tiled roof and a four-centred arch
with dripstone and label heads enclosing a studded plank and batten C19 door.
Transitional S doorway with slim colonettes, plain moulded capitals and an arch of two
orders, the inner a plain roll moulding, the outer of billet. 2 celled aiseless
interior with a C19 W gallery fronted by reused sections of a c14 screen and an open
rafter roof with tie beams and cusped braces. Transitional ogee-headed chancel arch
on plain stopped and chamfered jambs and on the chancel S wall a trefoil-headed
piscina. On either side of the E window are 2 cusped headed niches - one presumably a
blocked Early English window.
Good 1896 stained glass E window depicting the crucifixion by Heaton, Butler and
Bayne. Fine brass 'spider' chandelier dated 1729, wrought iron hour-glass stand by
pulpit and Royal Arms above chancel arch.

Listing NGR: SU2819093534

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.