This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7637 / 52°45'49"N
Longitude: 1.3566 / 1°21'23"E
OS Eastings: 626557
OS Northings: 323740
OS Grid: TG265237
Mapcode National: GBR WG3.MSX
Mapcode Global: WHMSW.TS5M
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049165
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224152
Location: Scottow, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR10
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Scottow
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Scottow All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 22 SE
7/9 Church of All Saints
Parish church; C14 and C15 restored. Flint with stone and brick dressings;
leaded roof. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch,
continuous chancel. Embattled west tower of 3 stages, diagonal buttresses;
plinth with flushwork; C15 west window 3 lights with panel tracery, alternate
brick and flint voussoirs; cusped lights to ringing chamber; tracery lost
to bell openings; cruciform lights to external stair-turret. Buttressed nave
of 6 bays; south aisle with 3-light C15 windows restored in C19 with 4-
centred arch over; alternate brick and flint voissoirs; external rood stair
with stone quoins. North aisle C15 3 light square headed windows; blocked
doorway to first bay with stoop to left. Clerestorey C19 2-light foiled head
windows with alternate white brick and flint voussoirs. Chancel with C19
Decorated windows; Priest's door with ogee arch and finial. South porch of
2 storeys to first nave bay with flushwork to gabled parapet; restored doorway
with castellated abaci under alternate brick and flint voussoirs; early C18
memorial tablet over doorway with semi-circular head, blank panel, apron with
cherubs head beneath scroll support; vaulted ground floor to porch with green-
man boss; nave doorway with continuous moulding, hood mould with figure stops.
Interior. C14 north arcade piers of clustered shafts with fillets and hollows
in the diagonals; south arcade of polygonal shafts with castellated abaci.
South aisle roof with arched braces; tracery and shields in some spandrels,
embattled wall plate. North aisle roof arched braces; principal beams with
roll-moulding. Nave and chancel roof with arch braces; embattled wall-plate,
plain ashlaring. Rood beam still in place. Circa 1400 tall, slim tower arch.
Piscina having tracery with mouchettes. Nave wall painting of St.
Christopher. Organ case with pieces of C17 carved wood from various sources
dated 1641 and 1649. Font cover probably of c1700. Mostly box pews. Some
pews, altar rails and pulpit with stone base by Butterfield (1857). Royal
arms of William and Mary dated 1696. C17 lectern.
Listing NGR: TG2655723740
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings