This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8665 / 52°51'59"N
Longitude: 1.2718 / 1°16'18"E
OS Eastings: 620319
OS Northings: 334902
OS Grid: TG203349
Mapcode National: GBR VCH.BCG
Mapcode Global: WHMSG.H6VT
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049862
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224489
Location: Hanworth, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Hanworth
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Gunton with Hanworth
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 23 SW HANWORTH
6/42 Church of St.
Parish church. Medieval. Flint, iron-bound conglomerate with stone and brick
dressings. Lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle, north
porch, chancel. Tower of 3 stages, diagonal buttresses. C19 3-light west
window. External stair to south east corner. Square ringing chamber
openings; 2-light Perpendicular bell-openings under 4-centred arches.
Gargoyles. Parapet with finials at the corners. Buttressed south aisle
of 4 bays with 4 3-light late medieval windows under 4-centred arches with
hood moulds. Small chamfered doorway between first and second bays with
hood mould. Lead roof. Clerestorey has 8 2-light windows with alternate
brick and flint voussoirs. North nave of 3 bays with 2 3-light windows with
panel tracery. Unbuttressed chancel with 3 blocked windows to north; one
of which is round-headed in conglomerate, flanked by 2 later, one having
remains of cusped tracery; eaves raised. To south restored Y-tracery window,
one partly blocked square headed 3-light traceried window and a C19 vestry
with brick dressings. East window of 3 lights, restored, having reticulated
tracery. Unbuttressed north porch with stone quoins to north-west corner,
rest of quoins brick probably of C16. Wooden barge board to gable. Rendered
outer arch. Nave doorway chamfered, arch with hollows and rolls. Wave
moulded hood mould. Interior 4-bay arcade with octagonal piers and abaci.
Arch-braced roof with castellated wall-plate; an angel to one boss. Aisle
roof arch-braced. Cusped piscina under square hood mould to south aisle.
Tower arch has attached shaft rising to form continuous moulding to arch;
restored inner arch orders. Hacked chancel arch; traces of rood stair.
Lancet piscina; depressed ogee sedilia with drop seat. Blocked north window
tracery visible. Arms of Queen Anne over chancel arch. Ledger slabs to
Doughty's of 1667, 1673, 1698, 1742. Plain octagonal font on octagonal
shafts. Box pew to west of south aisle with wooden canopy and memorial urn
of 1766 above.
Listing NGR: TG2031934902
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings