This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5825 / 52°34'56"N
Longitude: 1.361 / 1°21'39"E
OS Eastings: 627795
OS Northings: 303600
OS Grid: TG277036
Mapcode National: GBR WJF.2WW
Mapcode Global: WHMTV.WC82
Plus Code: 9F43H9J6+X9
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 7 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050456
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227154
Location: Framingham Pigot, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
Civil Parish: Framingham Pigot
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Framingham Pigot St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 20 SE
5/16 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. 1859 by Robert Kerr. Knapped flint and ashlar dressings, the
steeple entirely of stone. Plain tile roofs. Nave, north-west steeple,
chancel and north chancel chapel. Extravagant, bold and incongruous Decorated
style. 3 stage tower of square plan with stepped angle buttresses rising to
top of third stage. To south-west corner a polygonal stair turret, reducing
at each stage, ends in a pyramidal roof. It is lit through circular windows.
Spherical triangles to ground floor. On east side a small doorway below a
spherical triangle. Vaguely Decorated tracery to windows of first storey,
of one or 2 lights. North window of second storey is divided into 2 separate
lancets. Small spherical triangles to east and west sides. A modified broach
carries tower into octagonal drum pierced by single light traceried windows.
Above is a short spire with gabled lucarnes. Elaborately moulded west doorway
contained in large gable. In gable head a cusped statuary niche containing
statue. A blind arcade extends right and left of doorway. 3-light High
Decorated west window. More modest gabled south porch. Stepped side
buttresses to nave and angle buttresses at east end. 3 2-light nave windows
to north and south favour Geometric phase of Decorated style, those to the
north imitating c.1300 designs, those to the south of c.1280 patterns. Chancel
side windows : to the south are 2 2-light c.1300 designs similar to those of
the nave north while the north chancel chapel reinforces this in a display
of the style with a 3-light intersecting design with 3 encircled quatrefoils.
Proto-Perpendicular surfaces just to the east in a 2-light square-headed
window. Chancel supported by stepped side buttresses, diagonal to east.
Gabled south porch over Priests' door. 3-light east window has rather confused
tracery : 3 encircled trefoils. Interior. Windows all have shafts in jambs
with capitals. Stalls at west end of nave have tall canopies. North vestry
has stone screen on 3 carved arches standing on 4 polished marble shafts.
Above arches is an inscription frieze and above again a carved arcade of arches
within gables. Square carved font, on 4 polished marble columns and a central
marble drum. Roof of principals on engaged braces dropping to wall posts and
stone corbels. 2 tiers purlins trenched behind principals. Collars on arched
braces. Chancel arch on semi-circular responds with multiply moulded arch.
Above arch one painted representation of God, St. George and 2 angels. Chancel
roof as nave but without braces and wall posts. Moulded arch to organ chamber
in north wall. One bay sanctuary at east end.
Listing NGR: TG2779503600
Other nearby listed buildings