This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5657 / 52°33'56"N
Longitude: 1.3492 / 1°20'56"E
OS Eastings: 627081
OS Northings: 301701
OS Grid: TG270017
Mapcode National: GBR WJL.5X4
Mapcode Global: WHMTV.PRNX
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050466
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227186
Location: Poringland, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Poringland
Built-Up Area: Poringland
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Poringland Great All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
PORINGLAND THE STREET
TG 20 SE
5/48 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Flint, some brick and ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Late
C12 or early C13 west tower with C14 belfry stage. Early C15 nave, clerestory
added late C15 (money left in 1495). C14 chancel. Restored 1833 and 1861-
83 when south porch replaced and chancel arch built. Various furnishings
renewed. 3 stage circular tower with octagonal belfry. Pointed brick lancet
to west. No ringing chamber windows. 2-light cusped and louvred belfry
windows to alternate facets with blind windows between. Plain parapet. C19
brick gabled south porch. 2 windows to north and south nave of 2 lights under
depressed arches except south-eastern one which is larger and of 3 lights.
Simple cusping to tracery heads. 6 clerestory windows north and south of
rendered brick. They are of 2 pointed lancets each under 4-centred arches
and below 4-centred hood moulds with label stops. 2 eastern windows on south
side of reduced height to allow for larger nave window here. 2 rendered
stepped side buttresses to each side of nave. Gabled north porch used as
vestry in C19 and now a passageway to vestry of 1970's. 2 2-light chancel
windows north and south of C14 : diagonal 4-petal tracery. Between them a
stepped buttress each side and, to south, an arched priests' door with hood
mould on labels. Diagonal eastern buttresses and 3-light east window opened
up and restored 1861-83 : 2 encircled quatrefoils in tracery. To each side
of window and in apex of gable are trefoiled statuary niches. Apex niche has
further niche above it. Interior. Wave moulded tower arch without responds.
7 bay hammerbeam nave roof very likely of 1495. Hammerbeams on solid arched
braces carved with floral and heraldic devices. Polygonal wall posts with
capitals and bases and carved wall arches. Short hammerposts carry thin arched
braces to collars. 2 tiers moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. King posts.
Octagonal font with crouching lions against stem and symbols of 4 Evangelists
to bowl panels. The man and lion are repeated and 2 remaining panels have
rosettes. C19 chancel arch with circular responds. C19 boarded chancel roof.
Chancel east window contains 3 C14 figures in stained glass. Fragments also
in chancel side windows.
Listing NGR: TG2708101701
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings