This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5652 / 52°33'54"N
Longitude: 1.35 / 1°20'59"E
OS Eastings: 627140
OS Northings: 301644
OS Grid: TG271016
Mapcode National: GBR WJM.059
Mapcode Global: WHMTV.QS1B
Entry Name: Church Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227183
Location: Poringland, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Poringland
Built-Up Area: Poringland
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Poringland Great All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
PORINGLAND SHOTESHAM ROAD
TG 20 SE
5/45 Church Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa 1600. Brick and flint, rendered in places and whitewashed.
Pantile roofs. 2 distinct ranges almost contemporary, one running south-west
to north-east (called here the north range), the other north-west to south-
east (called here the east range). 2 storeys with attics. North range with
2 storey gabled porch, the upper storey jettied. Turned balusters flank the
moulded outer door frame. Moulded inner door frame and plank door. First
floor of porch lit through a renewed 2-light cross casement below a moulded
pediment. To right of porch is a 4-light early C18 cross casement to ground
floor and a 6-light ovolo moulded mullioned window with transom to first floor.
Gabled roof. South-west gable not rendered and of flint with brick dressings
to its 4 blocked windows. Upper 2 windows have moulded brick pediments.
Moulded kneelers with plinths for finials. Rectangular internal gable end
stack carries 2 octagonal flues. No north-east gable. Rear of north range
of 2 storeys with a tall gabled dormer with a 3-light ovolo mullioned window.
A C20 shed leans against main wall with a 3-light mullioned window to its right.
East range is also 2 storeys and attic, its north-west gable impinging on the
north range facade and abutting the porch. Gable with a blocked ground floor
window and a 3-light C19 first floor window in a reduced opening. Blocked attic
window below traces of pargetting. East flank of east wing has a door set
to the right with a C20 casement to its right. To its left are remains of
one very long blocked window to each floor, that to the ground with a C20
casement occupying part of it, that to the first floor with 3 original lights
remaining : mullions are roll moulded. Gabled roof with large external gable
end stack to south-east. Abutting this gable is a single storey gabled C18
extension with a C20 gabled porch. South again is a C20 extension, also gabled.
Interior. Hallway through porch entrance has to right double wave moulded
wall studs. Room to right of porch has quadrant moulded bridging beams with
large ogee stops. Restored fireplace. Fine closed string staircase, the
strings quadrant moulded. Bulbous turned balusters and moulded handrails.
Upstairs rooms mostly have quadrant moulded bridging beams. In attic to rear
of north range a blocked 3-light window with 4-lobed mullions. Between the
lobes are hollows. Roof of north range of principals, collars, 2 tiers butt
purlins and straight windbracing. East range of roof of diminished principals,
one tier clasped purlins, cambered collars and curved windbracing.
Listing NGR: TG2714001644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings