History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Aldeby, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4826 / 52°28'57"N

Longitude: 1.6075 / 1°36'27"E

OS Eastings: 645046

OS Northings: 293310

OS Grid: TM450933

Mapcode National: GBR YT3.C7C

Mapcode Global: VHM6C.TV5P

Plus Code: 9F43FJM5+32

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 5 September 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1050600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226781

Location: Aldeby, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR34

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Aldeby

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Aldeby St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


TM 49 SE
9/5 Church of St. Mary


Parish church. Fabric of C12 origin with C13 and C14 addition and
remodelling. Flint, brick and limestone, with limestone dressings. Nave
and porch slated, transept plain tiled, lead roof to chancel. Nave, north
porch, crossing tower, north transept, chancel with south aisle. Nave west
gable with staged diagonal buttresses; fine C12 west door with three orders
of shafts with decorated volute capitals and an arch with orders of roll,
zigzag and scallop mouldings. Much red brick and limestone incorporated
in walling. Renewed 3-light window with intersecting tracery above doorway.
Gable parapet with stone kneelers and gable finial. Good C14 north porch
of knapped flint with base course of flushwork panels. 2-light east and west
windows. Diagonal buttresses to porch gable with flushwork panels; apex of
gable rebuilt or raised in brick. Archway with fleuron decoration to inner
order. Square drip mould with shields on traceried grounds in spandrels.
Niche with square drip mould above archway. Nave eaves line raised in red
brick. 2-light window with cusped Y-tracery and round-headed restored lancet
in north wall of nave. Square crossing tower on base of brickwork, the upper
section of knapped flint dressed with limestone. 2-light Y-tracery bell
openings much restored, with plain chamfered stone reveals. Double-stepped
embattled parapet with flushwork panels. Polygonal brick stair turret on
south side of tower. West wall of transept has two restored lancets with
faint traces of blocked doorway between. 3-light north window with cusped
intersecting 'Y' tracery. Two lancets in east wall. Chancel north side has
renewed 2-light Y tracery and 3-light Perpendicular windows. Restored east
window of three wide lights with intersecting tracery. Parapet of aisle east
wall rebuilt in brickwork; east window blocked in red brick with small window
with cusped head inset. Openings in south aisle much renewed; small priests
door with brick archway, two renewed 3-light intersecting tracery windows
with red brick buttresses between. South wall of nave has renewed 2 and 3
light windows with stilted hood moulds on head corbels. Interior: nave roof
has a plastered barrel-vault ceiling. West wall of nave with battered internal
offset at cill level of west window. C18 floor slabs to Elizabeth and Philip
Carpenter and to George and Mary Lee. Tall, narrow north and south tower
arches, with four plain chamfers, the outer three dying into a chamfered
reveal. The north jamb of the arch dated 1633. Semicircular arches with
wide chamfers to aisle and transept, the latter now blocked, and with a C20
door. Chancel roof C19 with arch braced principals and wallposts on corbels.
C14 piscina and stepped sedilia at south-east corner. C19 wall monuments
to Carpenter family on north and south walls. Two plain chamfered arched
openings to south aisle. South aisle roof now boarded over, but displaying
brattishing and carved heads on wall plate. Doorway to vestry in east wall
with pointed-arched head and double wave moulding to reveal. Squint arch
in south west tower pier. North transept roof plastered over, but revealing
moulded and brattished cornice and arch-braced principals with wall posts.
Two central trusses closely set. Archway to tower has arch of four chamfers,
the outer three dying into plain square imposts. East and west doorways
blocked, central pointed recess to east, semicircular headed to west. Floor
slabs in chancel, notably to Matthew Trott (d.1652), Matthew Trott (d.1659).
Font, octagonal on single octagonal riser: alternating roses and shields
around bowl, head corbels below bowl, stem with eight attached shafts with
moulded caps and bases.

Listing NGR: TM4505393309

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.