This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4878 / 52°29'16"N
Longitude: 1.6229 / 1°37'22"E
OS Eastings: 646064
OS Northings: 293941
OS Grid: TM460939
Mapcode National: GBR YT4.33B
Mapcode Global: VHM6D.2QTP
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 5 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226881
Location: Wheatacre, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR34
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Wheatacre
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Wheatacre All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
WHEATACRE CHURCH ROAD
TM 49 SE
9/104 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Medieval fabric much rebuilt in C19. Tower C16. Knapped
flint and red brick with limestone dressings. Plain tiled roofs. West tower,
nave, south porch, chancel, north chapel. Early C16 square west tower of
red brick with large panels of flint forming a chequer pattern. Diagonal
staged buttresses, a more massive south-east buttress incorporating a stair
turret. Square-headed sound openings with hollow-chamfered stone mullions
and transom. Blocked west doorway with chamfered elliptical brick arch of
four orders and square drip mould; spandrels originally plastered.
Three-light Perpendicular west window above doorway with hollow-chamfered
brick mullions, reveals and elliptical arched head. Small square sound opening
above with hollow-chamfered mullion. Flint embattled parapet above coved
string course. Nave and chancel refaced and remodelled in C19: 2-light windows
in Perpendicular style to each side of central porch; the western window
square headed, the eastern with a four-centred arched head and stilted hood
mould. Good south doorway, C14, with ogee headed hood mould with crocket finial
and headstops depicting a king and queen. Staged buttresses at east wall
of nave; exposed area of nave east gable in brick and flint. Chancel has
three south windows of two lights with cusped and plain Y tracery, all C19.
Staged buttresses divide bays. 3-light east window with intersecting tracery.
3-light Reticulated east window to chapel with hood mould on head corbels.
North wall has a doorway with four-centred head, transom and 2-light
Perpendicular traceried fanlight above. 2-light Y-tracery window at north-west
corner. North wall of nave has two 3-light Perpendicular windows and a north
doorway with plain stone jambs and an elliptical arched head of moulded
brickwork. Interior: tall narrow tower arch with five plain chamfers dying
into wall. West gallery with coved soffit. C19 roofs. Traceried and
canopied screen with elaborate carved cornice, C15 in origin but much restored
1904. Wide chancel arch with seperate sub-arches to chancel and chapel.
Chapel has boarded waggon roof with cornice. Plain pointed niches flanking
east window. Piscina in south-east corner, now much replastered. North and
south chancel arcades of two bays: double chamfered arches on polygonal piers
and responds now much plastered over and disguised on south side. In the
north-east bay a chest tomb with corner buttresses and angels bearing shields.
Narrow doorway to chapel. Angle piscina reset in jamb of south-east chancel.
window. Brass memorial to Robert London (d.1627) in north-east corner of
nave. Font with octagonal bowl, round stem on square base; four lions against
the stem, alternating flowers and shields around bowl and angel-corbels below
bowl, all set on octagonal step. Elaborate font cover of 1904.
Listing NGR: TM4606493941
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings