This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7775 / 52°46'38"N
Longitude: 1.2867 / 1°17'12"E
OS Eastings: 621775
OS Northings: 325052
OS Grid: TG217250
Mapcode National: GBR VDH.VHZ
Mapcode Global: WHMSV.QGX2
Plus Code: 9F43Q7GP+XM
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Last Amended: 18 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050928
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228052
Location: Burgh and Tuttington, Broadland, Norfolk, NR11
Civil Parish: Burgh and Tuttington
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Burgh-next-Aylsham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 22 NW TUTTINGTON CHURCH LANE, BURGH
Church of St. Mary
10/5/61 The Virgin.
(Formerly listed as Cburch of
I St. Mary, Burgh)
Parish Church. Flint with limestone dressings; nave, north chapel and porch
roofs plain-tiled; chancel thatched. West tower C15, nave much restored C19,
chancel of early C13, extended in late C19 by R. M. Phipson; chancel north
chapel late C19. Angle-buttressed west tower; flushwork panels in plinth.
Square sound openings on north and south with mouchette-wheel traceried panels.
Large two-light belfry openings with louvres and panel tracery. Embattled
parapet with shields and crowned 'M' motifs. 3-light Perpendicular west window
flanked by niches at cill level. Polygonal stair turret in south tower wall.
Nave south windows and doors C19 restoration. Chancel of c,1200 with two
easternmost bays and east wall rebuilt in 1876-8 by R. M. Phipson : south
wall with eight lancets in bays of 3-3-2. Bays divided by staged and gabled
buttresses. East wall with three lancets with engaged shafts and capitals.
Circular foiled window above lancets. North chapel C19, with two lancets
in gable. Interior: important work of c.1200 in chancel : two tiers of blank
Early English arcading. Each of the 8 upper bays, south side, pierced by
a lancet with deep splayed reveals. Low-side window in lower arcade. Shafts
with fine stiff-leaf capitals. Lower arcade apparently intended to continue
further west, but interrupted by chancel arch. On the north side, a lower
arcade of 7 bays surmounted by 4 bays, the two easternmost with lancets (C19).
Fine C13 opening to north chapel flanked on each side by three shafts with
stiff-leaf capitals and bird-carvings. Centre shaft on each side keeled.
Chancel roof C19; arch-braced collars with collar-runner. Chancel arch re-
worked in C19 with curiously-carved responds and attached shafts. Label-stops
of chancel arch left as blocks. Step down into chancel from nave. Nave
windows of two lights, one at high level on south side. Good octagonal seven-
sacrament font on stepped base; the stem has four shields and four figures,
the underside of the bowl carved with angels holding sacramental emblems.
Tall tower arch of three orders of plain chamfers; chamfered reveal with broach
stops. Good monument on north wall to Edmund Burr (d. 1720) and his wife
Listing NGR: TG2177525052
Other nearby listed buildings