This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5442 / 53°32'38"N
Longitude: -0.7397 / 0°44'22"W
OS Eastings: 483609
OS Northings: 406017
OS Grid: SE836060
Mapcode National: GBR RW8G.N7
Mapcode Global: WHFFD.L5ZT
Entry Name: Butterwick House
Listing Date: 10 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051068
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165214
Location: West Butterwick, North Lincolnshire, DN17
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: West Butterwick
Built-Up Area: West Butterwick
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: West Butterwick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SE 80 NW WEST BUTTERWICK NORTH STREET
8/150 No 26 (Butterwick House)
House. C18 origins, rebuilt 1833 for Capt. William Sowden Collinson.
Alterations and additions of 1920s. Brick, stuccoed to front, left return
and rear, and incised in imitation of ashlar. Pebbledashed to right return.
Sandstone dressings. Concrete tile roof. T-shaped on plan: 2-room, central
entrance-hall west front, 2-room rear wing with outshuts and C20 extensions
to each side. 2 storeys, 3 bays; symmetrical. Plinth. Side bays break
forward. Entrance has Doric doorcase with twin pilasters carrying
entablature with moulded cornice and hood. Step to C20 part-glazed panelled
door and overlight with margin lights in reveal. French windows to either
side with margin lights, in reveals and architraves with entablatures and
hoods. Left and right angles have frieze and cornice at first-floor level,
with first floor stepped-in above. First floor: 2-light casements with
margin lights in reveals and architraves with projecting sills on moulded
brackets. Stepped frieze and moulded corniced gutter. Rainwater heads to
angles dated 1833. Hipped roof. Side wall stacks with plinths, moulded
cornices. Left return: angle pilasters to ground floor carrying moulded
ashlar first-floor string course. Pairs of blind window panels to each
floor with sills. Right return has C20 fenestration. Rear wing: east end,
overlooking River Trent, has full-height canted bay with moulded stone
first-floor balcony carried on moulded brackets, with C20 railings and
first-floor glazing to original window with moulded cornice; modillioned
gutter, hipped roof, stack similar to south front. Interior. Open-well
staircase with ramped moulded handrail, plain stick balusters, turned newels
and profiled cheek-pieces. Moulded cornices to hall and main rooms, deep
coved cornice to first-floor rear room. Round arch to first-floor passage
with fluted soffit. 6-fielded-panel and 6-beaded-panel doors in architraves
throughout; panelled window shutters to front range. W Read, History of the
Isle of Axholme, 1858, pp 353-7; D L Roberts, "Lincolnshire and Humberside",
in J Hadfield (ed), The Shell Book of English Villages, 1980, p 379.
Listing NGR: SE8360906017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings