This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5426 / 53°32'33"N
Longitude: -0.7416 / 0°44'29"W
OS Eastings: 483487
OS Northings: 405845
OS Grid: SE834058
Mapcode National: GBR RW8G.7S
Mapcode Global: WHFFD.L62Z
Plus Code: 9C5XG7V5+29
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 10 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083231
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165220
Location: West Butterwick, North Lincolnshire, DN17
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: West Butterwick
Built-Up Area: West Butterwick
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: West Butterwick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SE 80 NW WEST BUTTERWICK WEST STREET
(north side, off)
8/155 Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1841 by Briggs; later C19 vestry in matching style and
materials. West gallery removed and interior fittings renewed in 1879.
White brick in English bond with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof.
Gothic Revival style. West tower with south door, 3-bay nave, single-bay
chancel/sacristy with later vestry adjoining north side. Plinth. 2-stage
tower: tall first stage has diagonal buttresses with offsets rising to short
stone-coped piers, Tudor-arched hollow-chamfered south door in square-headed
chamfered reveal with foliate carvings to spandrels, hoodmould and head
stops; west lancet with hoodmould, single narrow lancets above to north and
south. Splay-footed octagonal belfry with alternate blind lancets and
lancet openings with hoodmoulds and wooden louvres, clockface to west.
String course, coped embattled parapet. Octagonal spire with ashlar finial
and wrought-iron weather-vane. Nave: thin diagonal buttresses and
buttresses between bays, rising to coped piers above parapet; pointed 2-
light Y-traceried windows with hoodmoulds, string course, coped parapet.
Chancel/sacristy: angle buttresses, pointed traceried north and south
lancets with hoodmoulds and shield stops, east side has buttress between
chancel to left with triple traceried lancets with hoodmoulds and shield
stops, and sacristy to right with similar twin lancets; moulded string
course, coped embattled parapet. Vestry has 4-centred arch door and lancet
to east, coped embattled parapet. Hipped roof. Interior. Pointed
chamfered door to nave, pointed chamfered chancel arch with hoodmould,
vaulted roof to sanctuary, pointed chamfered door to sacristy. 6-bay ceiled
nave roof with plain corbelled tie beams. Marble wall tablet to Michael
Goodsir of 1839. C19 octagonal font. Reset fragments of early (perhaps
medieval) stained glass to north, C19 stained glass to south and east, the
latter by Thomas Ward of London. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of
England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 419. D L Roberts, "Lincolnshire and
Humberside", in J Hadfield (ed), The Shell Book of English Villages, 1980,
p 379; photographs in NMR.
Listing NGR: SE8348705845
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings