This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4393 / 52°26'21"N
Longitude: -0.7798 / 0°46'47"W
OS Eastings: 483040
OS Northings: 283072
OS Grid: SP830830
Mapcode National: GBR CVF.1N0
Mapcode Global: VHDR2.FYLD
Entry Name: The Triangular Lodge
Listing Date: 25 February 1957
Last Amended: 19 June 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052038
English Heritage Legacy ID: 231150
Location: Rushton, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN14
Civil Parish: Rushton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Rushton with Glendon All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
DESBOROUGH ROAD (South side)
The Triangular Lodge
(Formerly Listed as: DESBQROUGH ROAD The Triangular Lodge at Rushton Hall)
Lodge. Dated TT1593 and 1595, Limestone and ironstone ashlar laid in alternate courses, Collyweston stone slate roof, elaborately decorated central stone chimney stacks which carries date 1595. Two storeys and semi- basement. Three windows to each floor on each side. Triangular plan. On each side Three pointed gables with tall finials rise above the continuous entablature and screen the roof. Each side of the building is thirty-three and a third feet long and carries a Biblical text of thirty-three letters. Semi-basement windows are small trefoils with triangular lights, ground floor windows are in the form of a cross with three circular windows at the end of each arm (forming diamond), first floor windows are large trefoiled with triangular and hexagonal openings. The gables and the windows of the two main storeys are decorated with a great variety of devices. Heavy studded door reached by flight of C20 steps. Interior much plainer: one large hexagonal room on each floor with small triangular spaces at the corners one of which contains a newel stair. First floor main room has fireplace with C19 surround. Built for Thomas Tresham of Rushton Hall (q.v.), the Triangular Lodge is an architectural conceit which makes great play with the number three, mainly as a symbol of the Holy Trinity but also as a pun on his surname. It is in the care of English Heritage. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: pp400-2).
Listing NGR: SP8304083072
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings