This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9372 / 51°56'13"N
Longitude: -1.3901 / 1°23'24"W
OS Eastings: 442028
OS Northings: 226691
OS Grid: SP420266
Mapcode National: GBR 7V9.HCN
Mapcode Global: VHBZB.VKHV
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 27 August 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052510
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251972
Location: Sandford St. Martin, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
Civil Parish: Sandford St. Martin
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sandford St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/04/2018
SANDFORD ST MARTIN
LEDWELL ROAD (East side)
Church of St. Martin
(Formerly listed under WORTON ROAD)
Church. C13, late C14 and C15, restored 1856 by G.E. Street. Limestone and marlstone rubble with limestone-ashlar dressings; Stonesfield slate and sheet-metal roofs.
Aisled three-bay nave, chancel, south porch and west tower. The stone-slated chancel was rebuilt by Street incorporating the early Perpendicular three-light east window; it also has two lancets to north and south and a blocked round-headed priest's door. The wide parapetted south aisle in banded rubble has an early Perpendicular three-light east window with reticulation, full-height mullions, and transoms; there is a similar two-light window with trefoil-headed lights and a two-light window with reticulated tracery which are both earlier.
The stone-slated porch has an outer arch of three continuous chamfered orders. The narrow parapetted north aisle is probably C13 but has three square-headed late C14 windows of two ogee lights, and has a renewed lancet to east. The clerestory has fine C15 square-headed windows in deep casement mouldings with richly-cusped tracery. The C15 crenellated three-stage tower, with diagonal buttresses and a deep moulded plinth, incorporates a large early-Decorated three-light window, with cusped intersecting tracery, above the west doorway which has a label over a casement moulding and has traceried spandrels; the top stage has two-light traceried openings and there are gargoyles on the parapet string.
Interior: the chancel arch is of two chamfered orders in banded ashlar, and the arms of Elizabeth I are painted above its east face. The C13 south arcade has circular piers and moulded capitals; the north arcade has crude octagonal piers. The clerestory windows have four-centred rere arches. The south aisle has a small C14 piscina with a large foliage finial. The interior of the south porch has a ribbed quadripartite vault and conceals the richly-moulded C14 south doorway. The roofs of the nave and aisle are in C15 style with arched braces rising from wallposts, but are probably wholely C19. In the tower arch is a vigourous C19 screen with canopied and crocketted arches and much carved decoration. A large C15/C16 parish chest stands below the tower. The C12 font with crude chevron carving has been partly recut to fit an octagonal stem. In the chancel are wall monuments to Thomas Gylen (died 1637), with detached Ionic columns and an entablature carrying cherubs and an hourglass, and to William Croker (died 1709), with large Doric columns, a heavy segmental pediment and an achievement of arms. In the nave are wall monuments to John Lock (died 1714), with a Baroque surround of scrolls and foliage, and to Vice Admiral James Sayer (died 1776) in marble with elegant Classical detailing. There are also five hatchments. The stained glass includes two C14 fragments in the south aisle, a mid C19 east window, and a fine lancet of 1973 by John Piper. A dedication of 1273 is recorded.
Listing NGR: SP4202826691
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings